Eritrea - Apply for Citizenship
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Applicants for Eritrean Citizenship should start by obtaining and completing a citizenship application form. The application forms may be obtained from the Ministry of Internal Affairs or from Eritrean diplomatic offices of which a list can be viewed at http://www.eritrean-embassy.se/tourism/embassies-consulates-abroad/ and at http://www.embassypages.com/eritrea.
- The applicant must then prepare the required documents and ensure to have three (3) witnesses who are willing to testify in favour of the applicant. These are invited to testify and give information about an applicant.
- If any of the witnesses is abroad, he / she must go to an embassy to answer some standard questions about the applicant. After the witness has answered the questions, he signs the question and answer paper and there after the paper is forwarded to the citizenship department in Eritrea;
- Investigation may also be carried out to find suitability of an applicant by the officers in the citizenship department;
- The applicant after investigation must take oath of allegiance, which should be signed;
- Granted Eritrean citizenship is published in an official gazette thereafter
- Proof of identity (Identity card, passport or driving permit);
- Proof of nationality documents (Birth certificate or passport);
- Proof of age (Birth certificate);
- Recent passport photographs for the applicant and any children included in your application;
- Proof of residential address;
- Medical clearance certificate
- Police clearance certificate;
Office Locations & Contacts
1.Minister of Local Government
P.O Box 225 Asmara
Telephone: 114 254
Fax: 120 014
2.Ministry of Justice
P.O Box 241Asmara
Telephone: 117 603 / 127 739 / 127 740
Fax: 126 422
3.Eritrean diplomatic offices in other countries (embassies, consulate offices or high commissions). A list can be viewed at http://www.eritrean-embassy.se/tourism/embassies-consulates-abroad/ and at http://www.embassypages.com/eritrea.
For a person to be eligible to attain Eritrean citizenship he must meet the requirements below:-
Citizenship by Birth
An applicant must be
- Born to (an) Eritrean parent(s) either in or out of the country;
- Born in Eritrea to unknown parents;
- Form resident in the country
Citizenship by Naturalization
- Must be foreigner who has stayed in Eritrea for a reasonable period of time (ten (10) years;
- Must have entered the country legally;
- Must be of high integrity and of good character;
- Must be familiar with at least one local language;
- Must not be mental or physical handicaps;
- Must prove that he / she will not become a burden to Eritrean society;
- Must prove that he / she can support his family;
- Must have renounced the nationality of another country;
- Must be willing to be permanent resident in the country if granted Eritrean nationality;
Nationality by Adoption
- Must have been adopted by an Eritrean citizen
- Nationality by Marriage: An applicant
- Must be legally married to an Eritrean national;
- Must have lived in Eritrea with the spouse for at least three (3) years;
- Must have has renounced his foreign nationality and is prepared to acquire Eritrean nationality;
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
- Citizenship may be lost voluntarily or involuntarily for instance
- Voluntarily a person may decide to renounce citizenship; and
- Involuntary citizenship may be removed if:-
- a person voluntarily acquires citizenship of another country;
- a person decide to serve interest of a foreign country instead of Eritrea;
- an applicant submitted wrong documents at the time of applying; and
- citizen who attained citizenship by naturalization is sentenced to more than five years in prison.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
One (1) month and above
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- Applicant should be in the country at the time of submitting application;
- An applicant must ensure that he / she meets the residence requirement
- Applicant must be of good character
- If it is granted, citizenship can be involuntary removed;;
- Applicants should know that an application may either be accepted or rejected;
- Ensure that you are aware of all the countrys laws, rules and regulations and be ready to comply with them;
- Always ensure that the right application forms are filled and signed;
- The witnesses must be Eritrean citizens.
- Testimonies from witness for applicants under twenty five (25) years can be given while abroad;
- A witness giving testimony in support of an applicant above twenty five (25) years must be in Eritrea;
- Minors may be included on application for citizenship by naturalization.
- Name and address of applicant
- Nationality / original citizenship of applicant
- Age sex and marital sex of applicant
- Profession of applicant
- Residential address
- Particulars of Parents (name, address, occupation, nationality, age and country of residence)
- Particulars of dependants / children included on application
Need for the Document
To have citizenship is being a national of a given country. In Eritrea, citizenship can be acquired either by birth, descent, origin, marriage, adoption or by naturalization. In Eritrea the citizenship laws are based upon the Eritrean Nationality Proclamation. Citizenship issues are handles by the Secretary of *Internal Affairs under Ministry of Internal Affairs currently known as the Ministry of Local Government in Eritrea or any other person authorized by the secretary.
Information which might help
- A person once citizen of Eritrea who wishes to become a dual citizen in Eritrea or who wishes to renounce citizenship of a foreign country and regain his Eritrea citizenship may apply to the Department of Internal Affairs.
- Incomplete applications always take longer to be finalized.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- A citizen of Eritrea is entitled to an Eritrean passport;
- Holding citizenship authorizes a person to stay in the country as long as he / she wants;
- The holder has a right to freedom in the country for instance freedom of movement, freedom of expression among others and can use public utilities freely;
More information which might help people.