Wikiprocedure > United Kingdom > England

England - Procedure to inform DVLA that you have stopped or need to stop Driving

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


Car or motorcycle driving licence holders

  • If you want to surrender your car or motorcycle licence then you will need to:
    • print the Declaration of voluntary surrender Form
    • fill in the form
    • send the form to DVLA enclosing your current driving licence

Lorry or bus driving licence holders

  • If you want to voluntarily surrender your lorry or bus entitlement, or want this entitlement revoked for insurance purposes then you will need to:
    • print the VOC99/CERT Form
    • fill in the form with the relevant option
    • send the form to DVLA enclosing your current driving licence

You can send your completed declaration to DVLA post.

Drivers Medical Group
SA99 1TU


Required Documents[edit]

Identity documents

You must provide original documents. DVLA wont accept photocopies or laminated certificates.

United Kingdom (UK) digital passports
  • If you hold a digital passport (the photograph and signature appear on the same page), DVLA can confirm your identity with the Identity and Passport Service. You dont have to send your passport to DVLA.
  • When applying online youll be asked to provide your nine digit passport number allowing DVLA to confirm your identity.
  • If you apply by post, using the D1 'application for a driving licence', write your nine digit passport number and your signature in the 'confirming your identity' section of the D1 form.
Other types of identification
  • DVLA also accepts the following documents as confirmation of your identity. Unlike the digital passport though, you'll need to send your identity document with your application:
    • full valid current passport
    • biometric residence permit (formerly known as the identity card for foreign nationals)
    • UK certificate of naturalisation
  • Do not send in your passport if you need it within the next month. If this is the case you should consider delaying your licence application until you can send it with your passport to DVLA.
  • If youve reached State Pension age, you can provide originals of one of the following in your name:
    • recent (within three months) bank or building society statement showing your pension payment and National Insurance number
    • BR2102, BR2103 or BR5899 letter confirming your eligibility for the State Pension
UK birth and adoption certificates
  • UK birth and adoption certificates can also be used, however, as they are not absolute proof of identity, they must be accompanied by one of the following:
    • National Insurance card or a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions containing your National Insurance number
    • photocopy of the front page of a benefits book or an original benefits claim letter
    • P45, P60 or pay slip
    • marriage certificate or divorce papers (decree nisi or absolute)
    • college or university union card or school record
  • If you don't have a birth or adoption certificate, or the one that you have doesnt show your full name or country of birth, contact your local register office.
Photo Criteria
  • Youll need to send a photo that meets specific standards to be able to use it on your driving licence. The photo may also need to be certified by having someone sign the back of the photo.
Return of your identity documents
  • DVLA will return your licence and identity documents separately, it cannot guarantee to return your identity documents by a set date. If you would like your identity documents returned by special delivery, include a stamped self-addressed special delivery envelope with your application. Keep a note of the serial number.
  • If you do not get your identity documents back within two weeks of receiving your photocard licence, phone DVLA Customer Enquiries on 0300 790 6801.

Unless you contact DVLA within three months of the date you sent your application, it will be difficult to carry out the necessary investigation.

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Drivers Medical Group
SA99 1TU
Nearest DVLA local office



  • You can renew your current British short period driving licence if you:
    • have a British licence that has expired or is going to expire within 90 days
    • are a resident of Great Britain
    • can meet the minimum eyesight requirement
    • are currently not prevented from driving for any reason
    • can provide addresses of where you have lived over the last three years


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.    


Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain the processing your application.    

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 



  • You need surrender your driving licence if you have developed a medical condition that makes driving unsafe.
  • Surrendering your licence removes the need for the DVLA to make formal medical enquiries into your fitness to drive. If medical enquiries are made and confirm you cannot meet the required medical standards of fitness to drive, your licence will have to be revoked.
Benefits of voluntary surrender
  • If in the future you wish to start driving again, you may be able to drive under Section 88 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, as soon as your application is received at DVLA, providing you meet the following criteria:
    • a valid application is held at the DVLA
    • you must have held a GB or Northern Ireland licence issued since 1 January 1976 or another exchangeable licence
    • you keep to any special conditions which may apply to you, and to your licence
    • you are not disqualified from driving
    • you are able to meet the medical standards of fitness to drive
  • Please note if you surrender your driving licence you will not be required to take another driving test.
  • Medical standards of fitness to drive are set down in 'At a glance guide to the current standards of fitness to drive'. All medical practitioners have access to this publication, therefore if you are in any doubt about your ability to meet these standards, you should check with your doctor before resuming driving.

Required Information[edit]

  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • Driver Number
  • Date of issue
  • Date of expiry
  • Gender
  • Diagnosis
  • Contact address
  • Telephone number
  • Email Address


Need for the Document[edit]

If you have developed a medical condition that makes driving unsafe your doctor may tell you to stop driving immediately. If this is the case you should surrender your driving licence to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). Your doctor will advise you when you are well enough to start driving again.

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]

  • Directgov - How to tell DVLA that you have stopped or need to stop driving
  • Identity documents and photograph criteria
  • Medical conditions A to Z
  • Medical rules for all drivers
  • The cost of a driving licence
  • The vehicles you can drive or ride and minimum ages
  • New rules for vehicles you can drive and minimum ages



More information which might help people.