England - How to make a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification)
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- Make a SORN online (https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/home/intro?skin=directgov)
- You can apply for a new tax disc or, if you intend to take the vehicle off the road, declare Statutory Off Road Notification, known as SORN, directly over the internet.
- Use the reference number shown on your V5C registration certificate, V11 or V85/1 reminder form and declare your vehicle off road.
- You can also use the vehicle enquiry service to check what information DVLA holds on its database about a vehicle.
- How does it work?
- Tell DVLA the vehicle. You will need either the 16 digit reference number shown on your renewal reminder, or the 11 digit reference number from your registration document or certificate (also known as the Logbook) and your vehicle registration mark (number plate).
- For a new tax disc DVLA checks the vehicle is insured and, if applicable has an electronic MOT test certificate or GVT certificate or entitlement to disability exemption.
- You choose the tax disc you want, 6 or 12 months, and then enter your payment card details. Note: an additional charge of 2.50 will be added to the amount payable if you use a credit card.
- You should receive the new tax disc in the post within 5 working days. If you provide a valid email address we will send an email to confirm your tax/SORN transaction.
- Payments will be processed in line with the terms and conditions as stated.
- Make a SORN by phone
Call 0300 123 4321 use the reference number shown on your V5C registration certificate, V11 or V85/1 reminder form.
- Recently registered as the vehicle keeper
- If you have become the registered keeper of the vehicle and received your V5C during the current month you will need to fill in a V890 Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) form and send it to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AR.
- For example, if you became the keeper on 4 December and received the V5C on 26 December you will need to fill in a V890. If you became the keeper on 28 November and received the V5C on 20 December you could SORN online or by phone.
- Not yet registered as the vehicle keeper
- If the vehicle isn't registered in your name, you must fill in section six and sign section eight on the V5C and fill in a V890.
- If you don't have the V5C you must fill in a 'Application for a registration certificate' (V62) (fee payable).
- Send in both the V890 and V5C or V62 to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AR.
- Identity documents
You must provide original documents. DVLA wont accept photocopies or laminated certificates.
- United Kingdom (UK) digital passports
- If you hold a digital passport (the photograph and signature appear on the same page), DVLA can confirm your identity with the Identity and Passport Service. You dont have to send your passport to DVLA.
- When applying online youll be asked to provide your nine digit passport number allowing DVLA to confirm your identity.
- If you apply by post, using the D1 'application for a driving licence', write your nine digit passport number and your signature in the 'confirming your identity' section of the D1 form.
- Other types of identification
- DVLA also accepts the following documents as confirmation of your identity. Unlike the digital passport though, you'll need to send your identity document with your application:
- full valid current passport
- biometric residence permit (formerly known as the identity card for foreign nationals)
- UK certificate of naturalisation
- Do not send in your passport if you need it within the next month. If this is the case you should consider delaying your licence application until you can send it with your passport to DVLA.
- If youve reached State Pension age, you can provide originals of one of the following in your name:
- recent (within three months) bank or building society statement showing your pension payment and National Insurance number
- BR2102, BR2103 or BR5899 letter confirming your eligibility for the State Pension
- UK birth and adoption certificates
- UK birth and adoption certificates can also be used, however, as they are not absolute proof of identity, they must be accompanied by one of the following:
- National Insurance card or a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions containing your National Insurance number
- photocopy of the front page of a benefits book or an original benefits claim letter
- P45, P60 or pay slip
- marriage certificate or divorce papers (decree nisi or absolute)
- college or university union card or school record
- If you don't have a birth or adoption certificate, or the one that you have doesnt show your full name or country of birth, contact your local register office.
- Return of your identity documents
- DVLA will return your licence and identity documents separately, it cannot guarantee to return your identity documents by a set date. If you would like your identity documents returned by special delivery, include a stamped self-addressed special delivery envelope with your application. Keep a note of the serial number.
- If you do not get your identity documents back within two weeks of receiving your photocard licence, phone DVLA Customer Enquiries on 0300 790 6801.
Unless you contact DVLA within three months of the date you sent your application, it will be difficult to carry out the necessary investigation.
Office Locations & Contacts
- Swansea SA99 1AR
- Phone: 0300 123 4321
- Motoring contacts
If youre the registered keeper of a vehicle that's not being taxed and is kept off the road then you are eligible to make a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification).
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- You can make a SORN online or by phone as long as you are the registered keeper of the vehicle.
- When making a SORN online you can print the confirmation page for your records. Also, if you give your email address when making a SORN online you will receive a confirmation email for the transaction. An acknowledgement letter will not be sent.
- If you have become the registered keeper of the vehicle and received your V5C during the current month you will need to fill in a V890 Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) form.
- If the vehicle isn't registered in your name, you must fill in section six and sign section eight on the V5C and fill in a V890. If you don't have the V5C you must fill in a 'Application for a registration certificate' (V62) (fee payable).
- If you buy a vehicle that already has a SORN made by the previous keeper, that SORN will come to an end on the date you buy the vehicle. You must make a new SORN if you are keeping the vehicle untaxed off the public road. You cannot transfer a SORN.
- After making a SORN DVLA should send you a letter confirming this. If you dont receive the letter after four weeks of making SORN, you should contact DVLA customer enquiries immediately on 0300 790 6802 (if you have made a SORN in advance you should wait four weeks after the expiry of previous tax or SORN).
- When applying for a refund or returning a nil value tax disc because youre keeping the vehicle off the road, you must make a SORN. The SORN can be made on the V14 application form.
- SORN or vehicle tax due to expire while youre abroad
- The vehicle must be in and remain in Great Britain to make a SORN. You can make a SORN up to two calendar months in advance. Fill in a V890 together with a letter explaining why youre applying so far in advance and post them to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AR.
- You can make a SORN online or by phone when its due, or get someone to post your SORN application to DVLA on your behalf while youre abroad.
- If you want to renew your tax in advance, you can do this up to two calendar months in advance. You can renew at a Post Office branch that deals with advance applications or a Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) local office.
- Full name
- Contact address
- Telephone number
- Email Address
- Vehicle Registration Number
- Date of SORN
- Make of Vehicle
Need for the Document
If youre the registered keeper of a vehicle that's not being taxed and is kept off the road you must make a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification). Find out how you can do this online, by phone or when you can apply for a refund of vehicle tax.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Directgov How to make a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification)
- Identity documents and photograph cri