Wikiprocedure > United Kingdom > England

England - How To replace a Lost, Stolen or Damaged Passport

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


  • To replace a passport, you need to complete and submit the standard IPS application form. The form comes with full instructions, whether you fill in the paper version or complete it online.
  • You can get the form in four ways. You can:
    • collect it from a Post Office branch that offers the Passport Check & Send service
    • request it online and IPS will send it to you in the post
    • call the IPS Passport Adviceline 0300 222 0000 and ask IPS to send it to you in the post
    • complete it online - then IPS will print it out and send it to you to sign and return with supporting documents
    • Find your nearest Check & Send Post Office (choose 'passport checking service' from the dropdown list)
  • Request a passport application form
  • Online passport application form explained
  • Complete the application form online

Countersigning the passport application form for a replacement adult passport

  • If you are applying for a replacement passport, you should sign the form yourself at section 9 and get it countersigned at section 10.
  • The person you ask to countersign should have known you for at least two years. They must also:
    • be over 18
    • hold a current British or Irish passport
    • be willing to write their passport number on the form
  • The person should also work in a recognised profession or otherwise have good standing in the community. For a list of suitable professions, see 'Who can countersign your application?'
  • The same person needs to certify one of your photographs. They do this by writing on the back:
    • 'I certify that this is a true likeness of [Miss, Mr, Mrs, Ms or other title and your full name]'
  • They must then sign and date the statement.

Signing the passport application form for a replacement child passport

  • The same person should complete and sign the child's passport application form and the Lost and Stolen Notification (LS01) form. If you complete and sign these forms, IPS will compare your signature with the signature on the application for the original passport.
  • If the original application was made by a different person, you need to enclose a signed letter from them. The letter should confirm that the passport has been lost or stolen. This is to reduce the risk of child abduction.
  • For child applications, the countersignatory (the person who signs the form at section 10) should have known the person completing the form (usually a parent) for at least two years.

Lost or Stolen (LS01) Notification form

  • You can get the Lost or Stolen (LS01) notification form:
    • by completing it online - IPS will then print out the completed form and send it to you to sign and return with supporting documents
    • by downloading it online
    • at your Regional Passport Office
    • at certain Post Office branches that offer the Check & Send service
    • by calling the IPS Passport Adviceline on 0300 222 0000
    • at your local police station

If you need a replacement urgently

  • If you need to travel in less than two weeks, you should make an urgent application for a new passport.
  • You can use the Fast Track one-week service (the Premium one-day service is not available for replacement passports).
  • First you should call the IPS Passport Adviceline 0300 222 0000 to make an appointment at a Regional Passport Office.

Sending the application form:

  • Send your application form using the pre-printed envelope that comes with the form (include your photos and supporting documents)
  • You can also send your application form through the Post Office Passport Check & Send service.


If you will send you application - payment by post, you can either:

  • Pay by credit or debit card, simply fill in details on the payment form in the Applying for a passport guidance notes that comes with the form.
  • You can also include a cheque or postal order payable to Her Majestys Passport Office

Checking the status of your application

You can track your passport application 3 weeks after you applied. You may contact the Passport Adviceline to check the status of your passport application. You'll need the barcode number from your application form and the number on your receipt if you used Passport Check & Send or applied at a Passport Customer Service Centre.

Issuance of passport

Once approved, your new passport will be sent to you either by courier or through the Royal Mail Recorded Delivery service. They will either:

  • hand your passport to you if youre at home
  • deliver your passport with the rest of your post
  • leave you a card or send you a letter to tell you where to collect your passport or how to arrange redelivery.

The missed delivery card or letter wont say that the package contains your passport.


Required Documents[edit]

  • To replace your passport, you should send IPS:
    • a Lost or Stolen (LS01) Notification form (if this applies and you have not already sent it)
    • the application form
    • the fee
    • photos (rules about passport photos:
    • the damaged passport (if this applies)
  • IPS may ask you to supply further documents such as birth or marriage certificates.
  • IPS will then cancel your lost or stolen passport. If you later find it, you must return it to a Regional Passport Office.

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Please list down the office locations that can be approached for applying. External links can also be used for specifying office locations.



If your passport is lost or stolen or damaged you can replace your passport if you have a valid unexpired British Passport.


Standard passport costs

Adult (16 and over) standard 32-page passport

  • Normal service by post - 72.50
  • Post Office Passport Check & Send - 81.25

Adult (16 and over) jumbo 48-page passport

  • Normal service by post - 85.50
  • Post Office Passport Check & Send - 94.25

Child (under 16) passport

  • Normal service by post - 46.00
  • Post Office Passport Check & Send - 54.75

Passport for people born on or before 2 September 1929

  • Normal service by post - Free
  • Post Office Passport Check & Send - Free

The Fast Track or Premium services cost more if you need to get a passport urgently.

You can only use Premium and Fast Track for certain services:

Replace a lost, stolen or damaged adult passport

  • Premium service - Not available
  • Fast Track service - 103

Replace a lost, stolen or damaged child passport

  • Premium service - Not available
  • Fast Track service - 87

How to pay

  • Post Office Passport Check & Send service:
    • Debit or credit card accepted
    • Postal order payable to Post Office Ltd
    • Cheques not accepted
    • Cash
    • The Check & Send service is free if you qualify for a free passport.
    • You can ask for a refund of the Check & Send fee (8.75) if the Post Office makes a mistake checking your form. You cant get any other refund if your application is rejected.
  • By post:
    • Debit or credit card accepted, complete the form in the application pack
    • Cheque or postal order payable to Her Majestys Passport Office
  • At a Regional Passport Office:
    • Debit or credit card accepted
    • Postal order payable to Her Majestys Passport Office
    • Cheques not accepted
    • Cash

NOTE: For cheque or postal order (payable to the correct organisation, and write the application barcode numbers on the back)

Fees for returning supporting documents

Your supporting documents (eg birth certificates) will be sent back to you free of charge by normal second class post.

It usually costs an extra 3 if you want your documents sent bac


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links


Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 



If your passport is lost or stolen, you need to replace it before you can travel internationally.

Lost or Stolen Passport
  • It is vital that you report a lost or stolen passport as soon as possible.
  • If your passport is stolen, you should report it to the police at once.
  • You can report your passport as lost or stolen and apply for a replacement passport at the same time if you're:
    • a British national
    • in the UK at the time of applying
  • If you're not in the UK or don't want to replace your passport straight away, you should report it as lost or stolen. See 'Report a lost or stolen passport' for more information.
Damaged Passport
  • You don't need to report a damaged passport. But if your passport is damaged beyond reasonable wear and tear, some airlines may not let you travel. For this reason IPS recommends that you apply for a replacement as soon as possible.
  • You will need to send the damaged passport to IPS when you apply for a replacement.
  • IPS will return it once they have established your identity and confirmed that the damage is not due to 'fraudulent tampering'. Fraudulent tampering means someone trying to change the identity details or photo on a passport to, for example, use it illegally.
If your child was included on the passport
  • If your child was included on your lost, stolen or damaged passport, they cannot be included on the replacement.
  • All children now need their own passports to travel abroad.
  • You should apply for a first child passport for them if they are under 16.
  • If they are 16 or over, they can apply for an adult passport.

Required Information[edit]

Details of lost/stolen passport
  • Full Name
  • Date of birth
  • Place of birth
  • Country of birth
  • Passport number
  • Date of issue
Details of where and when lost/stolen passport last seen

Date, place, country and circumstances of lost/stolen

Police Report
  • Date reported to police
  • Police station
  • Police report number
  • Applicant name
  • Contact Address
  • Postcode
  • Telephone number
  • Email Address


Need for the Document[edit]

If your passport is lost or stolen, you need to replace it before you can travel internationally. Although a damaged passport may still function and be readable, some airlines may refuse to let you travel. The Identity and Passport Service (IPS) recommends you replace damaged passports.

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]

Place some external links which might help.



More information which might help people.