England - How To Stop Adoption process of your Child
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- You may be able to get publicly funded legal advice and representation in court. A solicitor will be able to advise you.
- You can try to stop the adoption up to the point where the prospective adopters apply for an adoption order. If you do this the adoption agency will have to apply to the court for a placement order. This grants permission to place your child for adoption with a new family.
- Retaining your parental rights
- Before a court can decide your child could be adopted by another family, one of the following must happen:
- You agree for the adoption to go ahead
- The court decides to go ahead without your agreement (where the parent or guardian cant be found or is incapable of giving consent, or the welfare of the child requires the consent to be dispensed with)
- The court will only go ahead with an adoption order without your agreement if they feel it is necessary. For example, if the court has concerns for the safety and well-being of your child. The court will send you the evidence they have been given and you should discuss it with your solicitor as soon as you can.
- How the court will consider your views
- The court will also ask an independent social worker agency (also known as a children's guardian) to visit you. Their job is to:
- Safeguard your child's interests on behalf of the court they will want to know why you do not want your child to be adopted
- Report your views to the court it is important for the court to know how you feel about your child's future
- You can go to the court yourself if you want to explain why you are not willing to agree to your child's adoption. An adoption order cant be made unless the court is sure that being adopted would be in your child's best interests. They will have to take account of your views in deciding this.
- Maintaining contact with an adopted child
- The adoption agency will be able to advise you about contact with your child. Ideally contact arrangements letters, cards and in some cases meetings can be agreed between all parties. However, these may need to change if the childs circumstances and needs change. Where appropriate the child will be able to pass correspondence back to you via the agency to keep you informed of their progress and development.
- Adoption by a birth parents partner, foster carer or relative
- If you have parental responsibility for your child, you will be asked to give your consent to the adoption. If you do not wish to consent to the childs adoption you should see your solicitor.
- Fathers who were neither married to the childs mother nor named on the birth certificate when the childs birth was registered can apply to the court for a Parental Responsibility Order. This makes them legally recognised as the childs father and gives them parental responsibility.
- Identity proof
- Residential Proof
Office Locations & Contacts
- Find a solicitor through the Community Legal Service Directory
Provide eligibility criteria's for going through this procedure.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- If your child is in the process of being adopted and you don't want this to happen, you should get legal advice immediately.
- The adoption agency can also provide you with the services of an independent support worker to advise you on your rights and responsibilities.
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Country of birth
- National Insurance number
- Contact address
- Telephone/Mobile number
Need for the Document
If your child is in the process of being adopted and you don't want this to happen, you should get legal advice immediately. You can stop the adoption process immediately by following the below instruction and procedure.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Directgov Stopping the adoption process
More information which might help people.