Wikiprocedure > United Kingdom > England

England - How To Replace a Lost or Stolen Registration Certificate

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


Apply by phone on 0300 790 6802
  • You can apply by phone if:
    • youre shown as the registered keeper on the registration certificate
    • your name, address and vehicle details havent changed
    • you have a debit or credit card to pay the 25 fee - the cost of a duplicate registration certificate
Apply by post
  • Youll need to:
    • complete a V62 Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C) available for download, or from any Post Office branch, or from a Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) local office
    • enclose the 25 fee
    • send your completed application to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1DD
  • If your name, address or both have changed, you can notify DVLA on the V62 form at the same time.


Required Documents[edit]

  • Your identity documents
  • Your Residential address proof
Identity documents

You must provide original documents. DVLA wont accept photocopies or laminated certificates.

United Kingdom (UK) digital passports
  • If you hold a digital passport (the photograph and signature appear on the same page), DVLA can confirm your identity with the Identity and Passport Service. You dont have to send your passport to DVLA.
  • When applying online youll be asked to provide your nine digit passport number allowing DVLA to confirm your identity.
  • If you apply by post, using the D1 'application for a driving licence', write your nine digit passport number and your signature in the 'confirming your identity' section of the D1 form.
Other types of identification
  • DVLA also accepts the following documents as confirmation of your identity. Unlike the digital passport though, you'll need to send your identity document with your application:
    • full valid current passport
    • biometric residence permit (formerly known as the identity card for foreign nationals)
    • UK certificate of naturalisation
  • Do not send in your passport if you need it within the next month. If this is the case you should consider delaying your licence application until you can send it with your passport to DVLA.
  • If youve reached State Pension age, you can provide originals of one of the following in your name:
    • recent (within three months) bank or building society statement showing your pension payment and National Insurance number
    • BR2102, BR2103 or BR5899 letter confirming your eligibility for the State Pension
UK birth and adoption certificates
  • UK birth and adoption certificates can also be used, however, as they are not absolute proof of identity, they must be accompanied by one of the following:
    • National Insurance card or a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions containing your National Insurance number
    • photocopy of the front page of a benefits book or an original benefits claim letter
    • P45, P60 or pay slip
    • marriage certificate or divorce papers (decree nisi or absolute)
    • college or university union card or school record
  • If you don't have a birth or adoption certificate, or the one that you have doesnt show your full name or country of birth, contact your local register office.
Return of your identity documents
  • DVLA will return your licence and identity documents separately, it cannot guarantee to return your identity documents by a set date. If you would like your identity documents returned by special delivery, include a stamped self-addressed special delivery envelope with your application. Keep a note of the serial number.
  • If you do not get your identity documents back within two weeks of receiving your photocard licence, phone DVLA Customer Enquiries on 0300 790 6801.

Unless you contact DVLA within three months of the date you sent your application, it will be difficult to carry out the necessary investigation.

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

For nearest DVLA local office



Provide eligibility criteria's for going through this procedure.


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.    


Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Processing Time[edit]

DVLA aims to deliver a registration certificate to you within a week if you apply by phone or four weeks if you applied by post. Allow at least six weeks for your registration certificate to arrive before contacting DVLA if you applied by post.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 



  • You must replace your registration certificate (V5C) (formerly known as a log book) if its been lost, stolen, damaged or defaced.
  • You can apply by post using a V62 application form or get a duplicate over the phone using your debit or credit card.
  • You have to pay 25 fee - the cost of a duplicate registration certificate
  • Please make cheques or postal orders payable to DVLA, Swansea.
  • If your name, address or both have changed, you can notify DVLA on the V62 form at the same time.
Original registration certificate destroyed by insurance company
  • The 25 fee isnt needed if the vehicle has been categorised as 'C' salvage (repairable but repair costs exceeded vehicle value) by the insurance industry. However, the 25 fee must be paid if the vehicle has been categorised as A, B or D. (A = scrap only; B = break for spare parts only; D = repairable). DVLA will carry out checks to ensure that the vehicle criteria are met.
  • For further information about the categorisation of vehicles, youll need to contact your insurance company.
Replacing other documents
  • You may also need to replace your driving licence or MOT certificate.
  • If you need to replace a certificate of motor insurance youll need to contact your insurance company.
  • If you need to replace a retention document, youll need to write to Cherished Transfers, DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BW. An updated document will be delivered to you within six weeks.

Required Information[edit]

  • Full Name
  • Date of birth
  • National Insurance Number
  • Vehicle registration number
  • Make, model, colour
  • VIN, Chassis or Frame number
  • Residential Address
  • Telephone number


Need for the Document[edit]

You must replace your registration certificate (V5C) (formerly known as a log book) if its been lost, stolen, damaged or defaced.

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]

  • Directgov Replacing a lost or stolen registration certificate
  • Identity documents and photograph criteria
  • Replacing a lost or stolen driving licence
  • Replacing a lost or damaged MOT certificate



More information which might help people.