England - How To Renew or Extend Adult Passport
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
The Identity and Passport Service (IPS) has one standard form for all types of individual passport applications, including renewals. It comes with full instructions, whether you fill in the paper version or complete it online. Learn how to get the form and what fee and supporting documents you need to send.
- The application form
- First you need the get the application form from IPS and complete it. You can get the form in four ways. You can:
- Complete the application form online, in which case IPS will print out the completed form and send it to you to sign and return with the supporting documents
- Collect it from a Post Office branch that offers the Check & Send service
- Request an application form online and IPS will send it to you in the post - allow up to five working days for delivery
- Call the Passport Adviceline 0300 222 0000 and ask IPS to send it to you in the post - allow up to five working days for delivery
- Usually, only you need to sign it if you are applying to renew your passport.
- However, if your appearance is very different from the photo in your current or last passport, you should get your form countersigned at section 10.
- The person you ask to countersign must be someone who has known you for at least two years. They must:
- Be over 18
- Hold a current British or Irish passport
- Be willing to write their passport number on the form
- They should work in a recognised profession or otherwise have good standing in the community. You can find a list of suitable professions by following the link below to 'Who can countersign your application?'
- You should ask the same person to certify one of your photographs. They do this by writing on the back:
- 'I certify that this is a true likeness of [Miss, Mr, Mrs, Ms or other title and your full name]'
- They must also sign and date the statement.
Renewing a Passport Online
You cant use this service if youre travelling within the next 4 weeks.
- Complete an online application form to renew or update a passport: https://passports.ips.gov.uk/epa1r1a/index.aspx?c=1
- The pre-printed application form will then be returned to you to sign, date, add any documents or photographs that are needed, and return for processing.
Using the Passport Check & Send service
- Find your nearest Post Office that offers the Check & Send service - choose Passport Check & Send from the drop down list.
Receiving your new passport
Your new passport will be sent to you either by courier or Royal Mail Recorded Delivery. They will either:
- hand your passport to you if youre at home
- deliver your passport with the rest of your post
- leave you a card or send you a letter to tell you where to collect your passport or how to arrange redelivery.
The missed delivery card or letter wont say that the package contains your passport.
Apart from the completed application form and two recent identical photographs, the only supporting document you need to send is your current or last passport.
For rules about passport photos: https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports
Office Locations & Contacts
Telephone: 0300 222 0000
From outside the UK: +44 (0)300 222 0000
Textphone: 18001 0300 222 0222
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Weekends and public holidays, 9am to 5:30pm
- You can apply to renew your passport if you still have your last passport and:
- It was a standard UK adult ten-year passport or a UK five-year child's passport issued before you were 16
- It is undamaged
- You do not need to change your name or national status
- You cannot renew your passport if:
- You were previously included as a child on someone else's passport
- In this case you will need to apply for a first adult passport.
Adult (16 and over) standard 32-page passport
- Normal service by post - 72.50
- Post Office Passport Check & Send - 81.25
Adult (16 and over) jumbo 48-page passport
- Normal service by post - 85.50
- Post Office Passport Check & Send - 94.25
The Fast Track or Premium services cost more if you need to get a passport urgently.
You can only use Premium and Fast Track for certain services:
Renew or amend a standard adult 32-page passport
- Premium service - 128
- Fast Track service - 103
Renew or amend a jumbo adult 48-page passport
- Premium service - 137
- Fast Track service - 111
Replace a lost, stolen or damaged adult passport
- Premium service - Not available
- Fast Track service - 103
Renew or amend a child passport
- Premium service - 106.50
- Fast Track service - 87
Renewals for British nationals born on or before 2 September 1929
- Premium service - 55.50
- Fast Track service - 30.50
How to pay
- Post Office Passport Check & Send service:
- Debit or credit card accepted
- Postal order payable to Post Office Ltd
- Cheques not accepted
- The Check & Send service is free if you qualify for a free passport.
- You can ask for a refund of the Check & Send fee (8.75) if the Post Office makes a mistake checking your form. You cant get any other refund if your application is rejected.
- By post:
- Debit or credit card accepted, complete the form in the application pack
- Cheque or postal order payable to Her Majestys Passport Office
- At a Regional Passport Office:
- Debit or credit card accepted
- Postal order payable to Her Majestys Passport Office
- Cheques not accepted
NOTE: For cheque or postal order (payable to the correct organisation, and write the application barcode numbers on the back)
Fees for returning supporting documents
Your supporting documents (eg birth certificates) will be sent back to you free of charge by normal second class post.
It usually costs an extra 3 if you want your documents sent back by Secure Delivery. Choose this option on the application form if you want to use it.
Theres no extra charge for returning documents by Secure Delivery if you:
- renew an adult passport and have applied for a 48-page jumbo passport
- apply for a free passport because you were born on or before 2 September 1929
Restricted validity passports
Extending a restricted validity passport is free if the passport was issued before 1 May 2008.
If it was issued on or after 1 May 2008, an extension costs:
- 72.50 for an adult passport
- 46.00 for a child passport
NOTE: You cant get a refund if you cancel your application or youre not entitled to a passport.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
It takes at least 3 weeks to get your passport - use a different service if you need your passport urgently. Do not book your travel until you have a valid passport.
Applications can take longer between April and September - apply early if you can.
The Premium service means youll get your passport within 4 hours of your application being accepted. You must go to the Passport Customer Service Centre to collect it.
The Fast Track service means your passport is delivered to your home address within 1 week of your application being accepted.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- Apply to renew your passport if there are nine months or less before it expires:
- IPS will add the unused time (up to nine months) on to your new 10 year passport
- Some countries ask for six months validity on your passport
- You should only book travel when your passport is valid
- Refunds cannot be paid for time left on an unused passport.
- Time taken - a guide for normal applications
- The time it takes to process a passport application depends on:
- How busy IPS is - April to September is the busiest time
- Which service you use
- Whether your application is completed correctly
- Whether you provide the correct documents
- Whether IPS needs to contact the person who countersigned your application
- Using the Check & Send service will:
- Take a minimum of two weeks (not guaranteed) but you should allow more time in case IPS needs to contact you or a countersignatory for extra information
- Help you reduce errors but remember IPS may still need to contact you for more information
- Using the post:
- Will take a minimum of three weeks (not guaranteed) but you should allow more time in case IPS needs to contact you or a countersignatory for extra information
- You should consider using Check & Send as it will help you reduce errors, but remember IPS may still need to contact you for more information
- First time applicants will:
- Take a minimum of six weeks (not guaranteed) but you should allow more time in case IPS needs to contact you or a countersignatory for extra information
- Find that using Check & Send will help you reduce errors
- Find that during peak times appointments may not always be available at a time or place that is ideal and this can delay your application
- What happens to your old passport?
- IPS will cancel your old passport when a new one is issued. You cannot use the old passport, but IPS will return it to you unless it has been defaced or altered. In these cases it will be destroyed and not returned to you.
- IPS advises you to photocopy all relevant pages showing stamps and visas. This may be helpful if you need replacements.
- Full Name
- Full Address
- Email Address
- Expiry date
Need for the Document
A passport is a document, issued by a national government, which certifies the identity and nationality of its holder for the purpose of international travel. You can renew or extend your adult passport by following the procedure given below.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Place some external links which might help.
More information which might help people.