Wikiprocedure > United Kingdom > England

England - How To Renew/Change Passport with New Name

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


If you are about to get married or form a civil partnership and take your husband, wife or partner's name

  • Think carefully if you are applying for a passport to use after you are married, perhaps for your honeymoon, showing your married name. It may be better to get a passport earlier in your unmarried name and change it later on.
  • This is because the name on your passport should match the name in which you book your travel. If the name on the passport doesn't match the booking:
    • some countries may not let you in
    • some travel companies may not let you board
  • This may be the case even if you carry your marriage or civil partnership certificate with you. Always check with your travel agent or the consulate of the country you plan to visit.
  • IPS can prepare a first passport in your married name any time up to three months before the wedding. But the passport is 'postdated'. This means you cannot use it before the day of the ceremony. Some countries will not issue visas for postdated passports. You should check with the consulate of the country concerned.

If you get a passport in your new name before the ceremony

  • If you decide to get a passport in your new name before the ceremony, you can find information on what you need to do in:
    • the form (PD2)
    • the leaflet (PD1) 'Passports for Newly Weds and Civil Partners'
  • You can get these:
    • by downloading them as PDF files
    • from Post Office branches that offer the Passport Check & Send service
    • by calling the Passport Adviceline 0300 222 0000 to get them sent to you
  • The form needs to be completed partly by you and partly by the person who is to conduct the ceremony. The leaflet explains this in more detail.
  • You should then apply for your passport in the normal way. But you'll need to supply one extra document: a completed 'Passports for Newly Weds and Civil Partners' (PD2) form.


Required Documents[edit]

  • Valid Identity
  • Date and reason for changing name
  • Current Passport
  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Civil partnership certificates.

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Foreign and Commonwealth Office Travel Advice

The FCO Travel Advice service provides advice for British travellers on staying safe abroad and posts notices for over 200 countries based on the most accurate and up-to-date information available.

Contact point: Foreign and Commonwealth Office Travel Advice
Address: Consular Directorate,Old Admirality Building,London,SW1A 2PA
Phone number: Travel advice - 08458 502 829
Fax: 020 7008 0155
Email address: [email protected]

Identity and Passport Service (IPS)

The Passport Adviceline is currently experiencing a high volume of calls and intermittent technical problems. If you can't get through, please try again later. IPS is investigating the issue and apologise for any inconvenience caused to customers.

Contact point: Identity and Passport Service (IPS)
Address: Globe House,89 Eccleston Square,London,SW1V 1PN
Phone number
Passport Adviceline: 0300 222 0000
Text Relay: 18001 0300 222 0000
Text phone: 0300 222 0222

Nearest IPS office



If you have valid British Passport you can renew or change passport with new name.


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.    


Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain the processing your application.    

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 



  • If your name has changed and doesn't match your birth, naturalisation or registration certificates, you'll need to provide evidence of your name change.
  • The Identity and Passport Service (IPS) will need to see documents showing both the date of and reason for your name change.
  • You must send original documents, not copies. IPS will accept laminated documents as proof of name changes.
  • If you can't find the information you need here, you can call the IPS Passport Adviceline on 0300 222 0000. The line is open between 8.00 am and 8.00 pm Monday to Friday and 9.00 am and 5.30 pm on weekends and public holidays.

Marriage and civil partnership name changes

  • For married people, IPS will need to see marriage certificates.
  • For civil partners, IPS will need to see civil partnership certificates.

Going back to your maiden or unmarried name

  • If you have gone back to your maiden or unmarried name, IPS will need to see:
    • your birth certificate
    • a signed statement from you saying you have gone back to your maiden name for all purposes

Name changes by deed poll

  • In all other cases, IPS will need to see your change of name deed. If you have changed your name more than once, you will need to send evidence of all changes of name.

Required Information[edit]

  • Full old name and new name
  • Date of birth
  • Full Address
  • Country
  • Postcode
  • Email Address


Need for the Document[edit]

The name on your passport should always match your legal name. So if your name changes you need to get your passport reissued in your new name. This is true whether you change your name by Deed Poll or change your name following your marriage, separation, divorce or after entering into a civil partnership.

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

A passport is a document, can be used as your identity and for international traveling purpose.

External Links[edit]

  • Directgov - If your name has changed or is about to change - first adult passport
  • Find your nearest Check & Send Post Office
  • Request a passport application form
  • Passport photos and who can certify them
  • Foreign consulates and embassies in the UK
  • Table of passport fees, how to pay and refunds



More information which might help people.