Wikiprocedure > United Kingdom > England

England - How To Register your Civil Partnership

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


  • In order to form a civil partnership you must first give notice of your plans.
  • This involves letting a registration office know about your intention to register a civil partnership.
  • Once you've done that, notices are publicised by the registration authority for a period of 15 days, similar to marriage notices.
  • A civil partnership can be formed in England and Wales at register offices or other approved locations.
  • You can get a list of approved places from your local register office.
Search for your local register office


Required Documents[edit]

  • Your identity documents
  • Your Residential address proof
Identity documents

You must provide original documents. DVLA wont accept photocopies or laminated certificates.

United Kingdom (UK) digital passports
  • If you hold a digital passport (the photograph and signature appear on the same page), DVLA can confirm your identity with the Identity and Passport Service. You dont have to send your passport to DVLA.
  • When applying online youll be asked to provide your nine digit passport number allowing DVLA to confirm your identity.
  • If you apply by post, using the D1 'application for a driving licence', write your nine digit passport number and your signature in the 'confirming your identity' section of the D1 form.
Other types of identification
  • DVLA also accepts the following documents as confirmation of your identity. Unlike the digital passport though, you'll need to send your identity document with your application:
    • full valid current passport
    • biometric residence permit (formerly known as the identity card for foreign nationals)
    • UK certificate of naturalisation
  • Do not send in your passport if you need it within the next month. If this is the case you should consider delaying your licence application until you can send it with your passport to DVLA.
  • If youve reached State Pension age, you can provide originals of one of the following in your name:
    • recent (within three months) bank or building society statement showing your pension payment and National Insurance number
    • BR2102, BR2103 or BR5899 letter confirming your eligibility for the State Pension
UK birth and adoption certificates
  • UK birth and adoption certificates can also be used, however, as they are not absolute proof of identity, they must be accompanied by one of the following:
    • National Insurance card or a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions containing your National Insurance number
    • photocopy of the front page of a benefits book or an original benefits claim letter
    • P45, P60 or pay slip
    • marriage certificate or divorce papers (decree nisi or absolute)
    • college or university union card or school record
  • If you don't have a birth or adoption certificate, or the one that you have doesnt show your full name or country of birth, contact your local register office.
Return of your identity documents
  • DVLA will return your licence and identity documents separately, it cannot guarantee to return your identity documents by a set date. If you would like your identity documents returned by special delivery, include a stamped self-addressed special delivery envelope with your application. Keep a note of the serial number.
  • If you do not get your identity documents back within two weeks of receiving your photocard licence, phone DVLA Customer Enquiries on 0300 790 6801.

Unless you contact DVLA within three months of the date you sent your application, it will be difficult to carry out the necessary investigation.

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

General Register Office for England & Wales
Marriages and Civil Partnerships
General Register Office
Trafalgar Road
Tel: +44 (0) 300 123 1837 (Monday to Friday 9.00 am to 5.00 pm)
Fax: +44 (0) 151 471 4523
Email - [email protected], [email protected]

For events registered in Scotland or Northern Ireland.You can contact the relevant General Register Office using the links below.

  • General Register Office for Scotland
  • General Register Office for Northern Ireland
Other Useful Contacts
  • The National Archives
  • Census information
  • General Register Office



Provide eligibility criteria's for going through this procedure.


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.    


Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain the processing your application.    

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 



  • If you are planning a wedding, you'll need to provide some documents and personal information beforehand.
  • You need to let your council know in advance of your plans.
  • You must also be aware of laws concerning immigration and your residency status.
Marriage certificates and registrations
  • If you are already married and looking for a copy of your marriage certificate, you can order a copy through the register office or the religious building where your marriage took place.
  • The General Register Office (GRO) holds a central copy of all registrations for England and Wales. Local register offices also hold their own records of all events registered in their area.
  • The GRO has responsibility for England and Wales, and there are similar offices for Scotland and Northern Ireland.
Civil marriage ceremonies
  • You can find more details about civil marriage ceremonies by following the link below.
  • Enter the details of where you live and you'll be taken to your local council website. It will have information about wedding venues available in your area.
  • English Heritage also publishes a list of its historic buildings that can be hired for a civil wedding.
Civil partnership
  • Same-sex couples can have their relationships legally recognised as 'civil partnerships'.
  • Civil partners must be treated the same as married couples on a wide range of legal matters, including:
    • tax, including Inheritance Tax
    • employment benefits
    • most state and occupational pension benefits
    • income-related benefits, tax credits and child support
    • their duty to provide reasonable maintenance for their civil partner and any children of the family
    • ability to apply for parental responsibility for their civil partner's child
    • inheritance of tenancy agreements
    • protection from domestic violence
    • immigration and nationality purposes
Cohabitation - living together
  • There are over four million couples living together in England and Wales in cohabitation, and they are given legal protection in several areas. However, they and their families have significantly fewer rights and responsibilities than people who are married or who have formed a civil partnership.
  • Many people think that, after living with their partner for a few years, they become 'common law husband and wife' with the same rights as married couples. This is not the case. In fact, couples who live together have hardly any of the same rights as married couples or civil partners.
  • There is no such thing as common law marriage.
  • If you are living together as a couple, there are steps you can take to protect yourself and your partner. There are also ways to minimise the legal and financial problems which may arise if you decide to separate, or if one of you dies.
  • You can find out about the current rights of cohabiting couples from Advicenow an independent website offering information on rights and legal issues. Their Living Together campaign is intended to make both opposite and same-sex cohabitants more aware of their legal status. The campaign also provides advice on how to protect yourself and your family, should you wish to do so.

Required Information[edit]

  • Full Name
  • Date of birth
  • National Insurance Number
  • Residential Address
  • Telephone number


Need for the Document[edit]

Couples that are married, living together or in a civil partnership have certain rights. Find out what you need to know on the practical and legal issues surrounding getting married, living together and civil partnerships (for same-sex couples).

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]

  • Directgov Marriage, cohabitation and civil partnerships: your rights
  • Marriage and civil partnership: your legal obligations