Wikiprocedure > United Kingdom > England

England - How To Register Babies born aboard

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


Go to either the British High Commission or the British Consul in the country where you live to register a birth of your child.


Required Documents[edit]

  • Your ID card
  • Residential Proof
  • Passport

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]


G1 Compassionate (BMD) Headquarters UKSC
BFPO 140


Personnel Branch Headquarters
British Forces Cyprus


Service Registering Officer
British Gurkhas Nepal

All other areas

Joint Casualty and Compassionate Centre
Imjin Barracks
Building 182



Parents are eligible to register the babies born abroad.


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.    


Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Processing Time[edit]

Your overseas registrations will be processed in the UK within 12 months

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 



Babies born as British citizens abroad
  • You can go to either the British High Commission or the British Consul in most countries to register a birth.
  • Birth certificates are issued by these authorities and can be used as proof of British citizenship, British Dependant Territories citizenship or British Overseas citizenship.
  • Your overseas registrations will be processed in the UK within 12 months, after which time additional certificates can be ordered.
Babies born to serving members of the British Armed Forces
  • If you are serving in the British Armed Forces abroad when your child is born, you can register the birth with the Forces Family Services or your relevant Registering Officer. You should do this within 12 months.
Countries in which you are not able to register a birth with British authorities
  • Ascension Islands
  • Australia
  • Bermuda
  • Canada
  • Cayman Islands
  • Christmas Islands
  • Falkland Islands
  • Gibraltar
  • Irish Republic
  • Nevis
  • New Zealand
  • St.Helena
  • South Africa
  • Turks & Cacos Islands
  • Virgin Islands (UK)

In these cases, please contact the Foreign & Commonwealth Office.

Required Information[edit]

  • Name of child
  • Date of birth
  • Place of birth
  • Fathers and Mothers Name
  • Contact Address
  • Telephone number


Need for the Document[edit]

In most countries babies born as British citizens or babies born to serving members of the British Armed Forces can be registered by the appropriate British authorities. However, you need to request this facility as there is no automatic notification of the birth to UK authorities.

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Your Child birth certificate can be used for all legal purposes and child benefits.

External Links[edit]

Directgov - Registering babies born abroad



More information which might help people.