England - How To Register Babies born aboard
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Go to either the British High Commission or the British Consul in the country where you live to register a birth of your child.
- Your ID card
- Residential Proof
Office Locations & Contacts
G1 Compassionate (BMD) Headquarters UKSC
Personnel Branch Headquarters
British Forces Cyprus
Service Registering Officer
British Gurkhas Nepal
- All other areas
Joint Casualty and Compassionate Centre
Parents are eligible to register the babies born abroad.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Your overseas registrations will be processed in the UK within 12 months
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- Babies born as British citizens abroad
- You can go to either the British High Commission or the British Consul in most countries to register a birth.
- Birth certificates are issued by these authorities and can be used as proof of British citizenship, British Dependant Territories citizenship or British Overseas citizenship.
- Your overseas registrations will be processed in the UK within 12 months, after which time additional certificates can be ordered.
- Babies born to serving members of the British Armed Forces
- If you are serving in the British Armed Forces abroad when your child is born, you can register the birth with the Forces Family Services or your relevant Registering Officer. You should do this within 12 months.
- Countries in which you are not able to register a birth with British authorities
- Ascension Islands
- Cayman Islands
- Christmas Islands
- Falkland Islands
- Irish Republic
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Turks & Cacos Islands
- Virgin Islands (UK)
In these cases, please contact the Foreign & Commonwealth Office.
- Name of child
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Fathers and Mothers Name
- Contact Address
- Telephone number
Need for the Document
In most countries babies born as British citizens or babies born to serving members of the British Armed Forces can be registered by the appropriate British authorities. However, you need to request this facility as there is no automatic notification of the birth to UK authorities.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Your Child birth certificate can be used for all legal purposes and child benefits.
- Directgov - Registering babies born abroad
More information which might help people.