England - How To Obtain a Copy of Death Certificate
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Order by Online
- You can order death certificates online from 1837 onwards using the General Register Office index reference.
- If you do not have the reference, you can still order certificates as long as you can give enough information to identify the birth, marriage or death.
- You can find out more about using the General Register Office index reference by reading the 'Using the General Register Office to research family history' article - link below.
- Using the General Register Office to research family history (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Registeringlifeevents/Familyhistoryandresearch/DG_175464)
- Order certificates online (https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp)
- Order by Telephone
- You can order death certificates by telephone from the General Register Office or you can contact the local register office where the event took place.
- Call +44 (0) 300 123 1837, Monday to Friday 8.00 am to 8.00 pm, or Saturday 9.00 am to 4.00 pm.
- The General Register Office accepts Visa, Visa Electron, Mastercard, Visa Debit or Maestro.
- Order by Post
- Download and complete the death certificate applications form. Please read the accompanying guidance notes before you complete your application form.
- Send the completed form, with the correct payment by cheque or postal order, to General Register Office, PO Box 2, Southport, Merseyside, PR8 2JD.
- Make cheques or postal orders payable to 'IPS' (Identity and Passport Service).
- Your ID card
- Residential Proof
Office Locations & Contacts
- For your local register office follow link
- Mailing Address
PO Box 2,
You can apply for death certificate of your family member.
- Standard Service
All standard service certificates, including each additional copy, cost 9.25.
- Priority Service
All priority service certificates, including each additional copy, cost 23.40.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
- Standard Service
If you supply the certificate index reference, the certificate is sent within four working days. Without the reference, it will be sent within 15 working days.
- Priority Service
If you order by 4.00 pm on a working day, your certificate is sent the next working day by First Class post. Special Delivery options are only available on telephone orders.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- You can order official death certificates for events registered in England and Wales from the General Register Office (GRO).
- It is easy to order certificates online using the General Register Office (GRO) online ordering service.
- You can also order a certificate by telephone, post or from the local register office where the event took place.
- Extra copies of the same certificate can be issued at the same time for all applications.
- There is a fee of 9.25 for standard service and 23.40 for priority service.
- Make cheque or postal orders payable to 'IPS' (Identity and Passport Service).
- Full name
- Date of death
- Place of death
- Maiden surname if applicable
- Contact address
- Telephone Number
Need for the Document
If you need to obtain death certificate of your family member or if you would like to have an additional copy of death certificate of your family member you can obtain one by following the procedure given below.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
A Death certificate can typically be used as a proof of death and other legal purposes.
- Directgov - Information you need to order a birth, death or marriage certificate
- Directgov - Order birth, marriage and death certificates
More information which might help people.