Wikiprocedure > United Kingdom > England

England - How To Obtain Copies of Overseas Marriage / Civil Partnership Certificate

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


  • You can create a record of your overseas marriage or civil partnership at any time after the ceremony. You need to get the original documents, or certified copies, issued by the foreign authority this is not an automatic process. Depositing your marriage or partnership documents with the General Register Office isnt a legal requirement.
  • To create the record:
    • one of you must be British - only that person can apply to deposit the certificates
    • you must have been married in a foreign country, but not a Commonwealth country
    • you can deposit a civil partnership document from any country in the world (for example, foreign and Commonwealth countries and overseas territories)
  • If you are abroad, only the consul for the district where the marriage took place can send the documentation to the General Register Office.
  • If you are in the UK, you need to contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office about depositing your certificates.
Foreign and Commonwealth Office - depositing marriage and civil partnership certificates in the UK Opens new window
  • The General Register Office (GRO) does not release original documents once deposited. You receive confirmation when the documents have been deposited with GRO. Overseas marriages and civil partnerships are noted in the public indexes.
Obtaining copies of your overseas marriage or civil partnership record
  • Once recorded, you can request certified copies of the documents, which saves you having to contact an overseas authority. These are black and white photocopies of the material GRO holds and are not presented in the form of a British-style certificate. Photocopies are issued under the seal of the General Register Office and are usually acceptable as official evidence of your marriage or civil partnership.
  • For further information on the legalisation of documents, contact Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
  • If you need any other information about marrying or forming a civil partnership abroad, contact the General Register Office.


Required Documents[edit]

  • Your identity documents
  • Your Residential address proof
Identity documents

You must provide original documents. DVLA wont accept photocopies or laminated certificates.

United Kingdom (UK) digital passports
  • If you hold a digital passport (the photograph and signature appear on the same page), DVLA can confirm your identity with the Identity and Passport Service. You dont have to send your passport to DVLA.
  • When applying online youll be asked to provide your nine digit passport number allowing DVLA to confirm your identity.
  • If you apply by post, using the D1 'application for a driving licence', write your nine digit passport number and your signature in the 'confirming your identity' section of the D1 form.
Other types of identification
  • DVLA also accepts the following documents as confirmation of your identity. Unlike the digital passport though, you'll need to send your identity document with your application:
    • full valid current passport
    • biometric residence permit (formerly known as the identity card for foreign nationals)
    • UK certificate of naturalisation
  • Do not send in your passport if you need it within the next month. If this is the case you should consider delaying your licence application until you can send it with your passport to DVLA.
  • If youve reached State Pension age, you can provide originals of one of the following in your name:
    • recent (within three months) bank or building society statement showing your pension payment and National Insurance number
    • BR2102, BR2103 or BR5899 letter confirming your eligibility for the State Pension
UK birth and adoption certificates
  • UK birth and adoption certificates can also be used, however, as they are not absolute proof of identity, they must be accompanied by one of the following:
    • National Insurance card or a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions containing your National Insurance number
    • photocopy of the front page of a benefits book or an original benefits claim letter
    • P45, P60 or pay slip
    • marriage certificate or divorce papers (decree nisi or absolute)
    • college or university union card or school record
  • If you don't have a birth or adoption certificate, or the one that you have doesnt show your full name or country of birth, contact your local register office.
Return of your identity documents
  • DVLA will return your licence and identity documents separately, it cannot guarantee to return your identity documents by a set date. If you would like your identity documents returned by special delivery, include a stamped self-addressed special delivery envelope with your application. Keep a note of the serial number.
  • If you do not get your identity documents back within two weeks of receiving your photocard licence, phone DVLA Customer Enquiries on 0300 790 6801.

Unless you contact DVLA within three months of the date you sent your application, it will be difficult to carry out the necessary investigation.

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

General Register Office for England & Wales
Marriages and Civil Partnerships
General Register Office
Trafalgar Road
Tel: +44 (0) 300 123 1837 (Monday to Friday 9.00 am to 5.00 pm)
Fax: +44 (0) 151 471 4523
Email - [email protected], [email protected]

For events registered in Scotland or Northern Ireland.You can contact the relevant General Register Office using the links below.

  • General Register Office for Scotland
  • General Register Office for Northern Ireland
Other Useful Contacts
  • The National Archives
  • Census information
  • General Register Office



You are eligible to create the record

  • one of you must be British - only that person can apply to deposit the certificates
  • you must have been married in a foreign country, but not a Commonwealth country
  • you can deposit a civil partnership document from any country in the world (for example, foreign and Commonwealth countries and overseas territories)


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.    


Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain the processing your application.    

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 



  • You cannot register an overseas ceremony in the UK. However, you can apply to have your documents sent from the relevant country via the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and deposited with the General Register Office.
  • You can then get copies of your marriage or civil partnership record more easily.

Required Information[edit]

  • Full Name
  • Date of birth
  • National Insurance Number
  • Residential Address
  • Telephone number


Need for the Document[edit]

Following instructions and procedures tells you about obtaining copies of overseas marriage or civil partnership certificate.

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]

  • Directgov Overseas marriages and civil partnerships
  • Order birth, marriage and death certificates
  • Order a civil partnership certificate
  • Foreign & Commonwealth Office - Getting married abroad
  • Foreign & Commonwealth Office - civil partnerships abroad



More information which might help people.