Wikiprocedure > United Kingdom > England

England - How To Apply to Claim Tax Credits

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


  • To claim tax credits you have to fill in a claim form. You can only get a tax credits claim pack from the Tax Credit Helpline. You can't download a claim form, or make your claim online.
  • Complete the claim form in yourself and send it back by post to:
HM Revenue & Customs Tax Credits
Comben House
Farriers Way
L75 1BY
  • If you claim other benefits, such as Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance or Jobseeker's Allowance, you can give your completed form to:
    • your Jobcentre Plus
    • in Northern Ireland, your Social Security Office


Required Documents[edit]

  • Valid passport (UK or foreign)
  • National identity card (UK or foreign)
  • Residence permit or residence card including biometric immigration residency documents
  • Full marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • Driving licence (UK or foreign)

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]


Tax credits written enquiries
Tax Credit Office

If you are writing to tell us about a change of circumstance, please mark your envelope 'change of circumstances'.

  • Tax Credit Helpline: 0345 300 3900 (For general information about tax credits). Opening hours:
    • 8.00 am to 8.00 pm, Monday to Friday
    • 8.00 am to 4.00 pm Saturday
    • Closed Sundays, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day
  • For customers who are deaf or hearing or speech impaired: 0345 300 3909 (Textphone)
    • A textphone allows you to type what you want to say rather than speaking into a mouthpiece. You can use a textphone instead of a voice telephone if you are deaf or have problems with your speech. It is not possible to speak to an adviser by phoning a textphone number.
  • If you're calling from abroad please telephone:+44 2890 538 192
  • When you contact us please have your National Insurance number to hand.

If you suspect someone of committing tax credit / benefit fraud you can report them online to the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP). Follow the link below to report a benefit thief

Check our website
  • Changes that might affect your tax credits
Why, when and how you need to report a change and what happens if you don't
  • Tax credits for your 16-year-old
You need to tell the Tax Credit Office if your child's staying on in education or training after age 16 - find out more



You are eligible to claim your tax credits.


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.    


Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Processing Time[edit]

  • The helpline aims to send your claim pack to you within one week.
  • You should get back in touch if you haven't received it after two weeks.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 



  • To claim tax credits you have to fill in a claim form. You can only get a tax credits claim pack from the Tax Credit Helpline. You can't download a claim form, or make your claim online.
  • There are two types of tax credit - Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit. But you only need to complete one claim form, even if you want to claim both.
Information you'll need to get a claim pack
  • If you've got a National Insurance number, have it handy before you call the helpline. The helpline will also ask you for other information, including your income in the last tax year. A tax year runs from 6 April one year to 5 April the next. So it's a good idea to get the following together before you call:
    • Your income for the last tax year if you were employed - you can get this from your P60 or your final payslip for the tax year
    • Details of your income for the last tax year if you were self-employed
    • Details of any benefits you get like contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance or Carer's Allowance
    • Details of other income you get like savings interest, pensions or rent
    • Details of any childcare payments you make if you use a registered or approved provider
You can find your National Insurance Number on
  • Your P60 certificate or P45 from your current or last employer
  • Your PAYE Coding Notice or a letter from the Tax Credit Office
  • Your payslip from work
  • Any letter from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) or Jobcentre Plus and in Northern Ireland, the Social Security office
You must make a joint tax credits claim
  • If you live with someone as a couple you must make a joint tax credits claim - you can't decide to claim as a single person.
  • You'll have to give information about both of you on the claim form and you'll share responsibility for making sure that this information is correct.
When to claim
  • Make a claim for tax credits as soon as you think you qualify. If you wait you could lose money, because tax credits can normally only be backdated up to one month. For example, if you have a baby on 12 June and your claim form is received on 12 October, you'll only be paid from 12 September.
  • Sometimes it might be worth making a claim even if you think your income is too high to get any money at the moment. You might want to do this if you expect your income to go down later in the year, perhaps because of redundancy.
  • You can't claim in advance for a new baby - you need to wait until they've been born. But if you already have children, you dont have to wait to claim for them.
  • If you're starting work and want to claim Working Tax Credit, you can make a claim up to seven days before your job starts.
Help with the claim form
  • You'll get a set of notes with your claim form that will help you fill it in. But if you need any further help completing the form, you can call the Tax Credit Helpline who will be happy to provide advice.
  • If you claim other benefits, such as Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance or Jobseeker's Allowance, you'll get help with your claim form from:
    • your Jobcentre Plus
    • in Northern Ireland, your Social Security Office
Paperwork to keep

Once you've made your claim, it's a good idea to keep certain paperwork and documents safe. This will help if the Tax Credit Office needs to check your details in future.

Required Information[edit]

  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • National Insurance or NHS number (CHI in Scotland or Health and Care number in Northern Ireland)
  • House number/name
  • UK Postcode
  • Contact address
  • Telephone number


Need for the Document[edit]

You can claim your tax credits, if you have National Insurance Number and you can claim tax credits by following below procedure.

National Insurance Number

Your National Insurance number is your own personal account number. It is unique to you and you keep the same one all your life. It makes sure that the National Insurance contributions and tax you pay are properly recorded against your name. It also acts as a reference number when communicating with the Department for Work and Pensions and HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]

  • Human Revenue & Customs - Applying to claim tax credits
  • Report a benefit thief online on the DWP website
  • Changes that might affect your tax credits
  • Tax credits for your 16-year-old
  • More about when to make a joint or single tax credits claim
  • When your tax credit claim can be backdated
  • Protect your right to tax credits by claiming early
  • Tax credits - what paperwork should you keep?
  • If you want someone to act on your behalf for tax credits
  • Claiming tax credits as an appointee
  • How to avoid common mistakes on your tax credits claim form
  • Find out more about applying for a National Insurance number



More information which might help people.