Wikiprocedure > United Kingdom > England

England - How To Apply to Claim Child Benefit

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


  • Download and complete the claim form and send it back by post to:
Child Benefit Office (Washington)
NEA 10463
PO Box 133
NE38 7BR
  • Send both of the following with your claim form:
    • the birth or adoption certificate for each child you're claiming for - if you don't have it, still send your claim form back
    • the last page of the claim form which shows your name and address - the Child Benefit Office will use this to return your birth or adoption certificates
  • You can send either the long or short versions of the certificates.
  • Note - If you have any problems completing the form on screen, you can call the Child Benefit Helpline.


Required Documents[edit]

  • Valid passport (UK or foreign)
  • National identity card (UK or foreign)
  • Residence permit or residence card including biometric immigration residency documents
  • Full marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • Birth or adoption certificate of your child
  • Driving licence (UK or foreign)

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

You can write to us at the following address:
Child Benefit Office
PO Box 1
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE88 1AA
  • Child Benefit Helpline - We can only discuss your claim with you personally. If your partner or someone else calls for you, we can only give them general advice - unless you have authorised them to act on your behalf.
  • General help and advice with your Child Benefit: 0845 302 1444
  • Opening hours:
    • 8.00 am to 8.00 pm, Monday to Friday
    • 8.00 am to 4.00 pm Saturday
    • Closed Sundays, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, and New Year's Day
  • For customers who are deaf or hearing or speech impaired:0845 302 1474 (Textphone)

A textphone allows you to type what you want to say rather than speaking into a mouthpiece. You can use a textphone instead of a voice telephone if you are deaf or have problems with your speech. It is not possible to speak to an adviser by phoning a textphone number.

  • If you're calling from abroad please telephone:+44 161 210 3086
Check our website
  • Child Benefit when your child is aged 16 or over
Information about Child Benefit if your child starts work or is doing further education or training
  • How to claim Child Benefit
To claim Child Benefit you need to fill in a claim form. You can get one online, plus other information about claiming
Contact details for the Child Benefit Helpline



Anyone who's bringing up a child can claim. This is usually the mother, but it doesn't have to be.


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.    


Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain the processing your application.    

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 



  • The only way to claim Child Benefit is to fill in a Child Benefit claim form.
  • You need to send the claim form to the Child Benefit Office along with your child's birth or adoption certificate.
  • You can't claim over the phone or the Internet.
Before claiming child benefit you need to get the claim form
  • There are a couple of ways of getting a claim form. You can:
    • get one from the 'Bounty Pack' that's given to new mothers in hospital
    • fill in a Child Benefit claim form on screen and print it out - you'll still need to send it to the Child Benefit Office
  • You can also print out a blank Child Benefit claim form in Welsh, if thats your preferred language, and fill it in by hand.
  • If you have any problems completing the form on screen, you can call the Child Benefit Helpline.
  • You can also get the claim form from the Child Benefit Helpline if you have problems getting hold of one.
When to claim Child Benefit
  • Your Child Benefit can only be backdated for up to three months from the date the Child Benefit Office receives your claim. So it's best to make your claim straight away to avoid losing money.
  • You should claim Child Benefit as soon as:
    • your child is born
    • a child you're responsible for comes to live with you
    • you adopt a child who's living with you
    • you start paying towards the cost of looking after your child unless they live with someone else who's already getting Child Benefit
  • If your child has died and you want to claim for them, you should do so within three months of the date your child died.
Paperwork you'll need
  • You'll need one of the following certificates for your child when you claim:
    • a birth certificate
    • a birth certificate you get after adoption
    • an adoption certificate
  • This must be the original and not a copy. The Child Benefit Office will send it back to you when they have finished with it.
  • If you haven't got the certificate, send the Child Benefit Office your claim form anyway. They'll ask you to send the certificate later.
  • You don't need to send the certificates for any of your children that you (or someone else) have had Child Benefit for in the past.

Required Information[edit]

  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • National Insurance or NHS number
  • Nationality
  • Marital status
  • Contact address
  • Telephone number
  • Bank details (Bank name, branch, account number, etc.)
  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • Nationality
  • Gender


Need for the Document[edit]

You can get the credits if you get Child Benefit for a child under 12. This will continue until your youngest child reaches the age of 12. You can apply to claim child benefit by following the below procedure.

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

If you have a child under 12 - and you're either looking after them at home or you work but dont earn enough to pay National Insurance contributions - Child Benefit can help you qualify for credits for being a parent or a carer. These credits count towards your State Pension.

External Links[edit]

  • Human Revenue & Customs - Applying to claim Child Benefit
  • Get a Child Benefit claim form to fill in on screen and print out
  • More about Child Benefit if your child dies
  • Help with the Child Benefit claim form
  • When to expect your first Child Benefit payment
  • How claiming Child Benefit can protect your State Pension
  • Contact details for the Child Benefit Helpline



More information which might help people.