Wikiprocedure > United Kingdom > England

England - How To Apply for Television License Discount

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


  • To claim the TV licence concession for blind people, you'll need to provide a photocopy of the certificate. This certificate will be from your local authority or ophthalmologist stating that you are registered blind or severely sight impaired.
  • In Northern Ireland, the certificate or document must be issued by or on behalf of a Health and Social Services Trust. On the Isle of Man, it must be issued by or on behalf of the Department for Health and Social Services.
  • Post this certificate along with your licence renewal notice - if you have one - and a cheque or postal order for the licence to:
TV Licensing
Blind Concession Group
Bristol BS98 1TL
  • Remember to include your name, address, phone number and TV licence number, if you have one.
Backdating your TV licence concession
  • If you have only recently found out about the concession, refunds are available for previous years backdated to 1 April 2000. You will have to prove that you had a television licence and were registered blind during the relevant period.
  • Contact TV Licensing for more information.
Renewing your concessionary TV licence
  • Once you have provided a photocopy of your certificate, you will not need to do so again. You must still continue to renew your licence every year.
  • You can renew your licence online on the TV Licensing website.


Required Documents[edit]

  • Your Identity
  • Birth certificate, passport, drivers licence for proof of age
  • Residential Proof
  • Medical Certificate
Identity documents

You must provide original documents. DVLA wont accept photocopies or laminated certificates.

United Kingdom (UK) digital passports
  • If you hold a digital passport (the photograph and signature appear on the same page), DVLA can confirm your identity with the Identity and Passport Service. You dont have to send your passport to DVLA.
  • When applying online youll be asked to provide your nine digit passport number allowing DVLA to confirm your identity.
  • If you apply by post, using the D1 'application for a driving licence', write your nine digit passport number and your signature in the 'confirming your identity' section of the D1 form.
Other types of identification
  • DVLA also accepts the following documents as confirmation of your identity. Unlike the digital passport though, you'll need to send your identity document with your application:
    • Full valid current passport
    • Biometric residence permit (formerly known as the identity card for foreign nationals)
    • UK certificate of naturalisation
  • Do not send in your passport if you need it within the next month. If this is the case you should consider delaying your licence application until you can send it with your passport to DVLA.
  • If youve reached State Pension age, you can provide originals of one of the following in your name:
    • Recent (within three months) bank or building society statement showing your pension payment and National Insurance number
    • BR2102, BR2103 or BR5899 letter confirming your eligibility for the State Pension
UK birth and adoption certificates
  • UK birth and adoption certificates can also be used, however, as they are not absolute proof of identity, they must be accompanied by one of the following:
    • National Insurance card or a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions containing your National Insurance number
    • Photocopy of the front page of a benefits book or an original benefits claim letter
    • P45, P60 or pay slip
    • Marriage certificate or divorce papers (decree nisi or absolute)
    • College or university union card or school record
  • If you don't have a birth or adoption certificate, or the one that you have doesnt show your full name or country of birth, contact your local register office.

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Address - TV Licensing,Blind Concession Group,Bristol BS98 1TL
Telephone - 0844 800 6737
Minicom - 0300 790 6050



You may be eligible to get a 50 per cent reduction on the cost of a TV licence if either:

  • you are registered blind or severely sight impaired
  • you live with someone who is registered blind or severely sight impaired


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.    


Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain the processing your application.    

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 



  • You can get 50 per cent off the cost of your TV licence if either:
    • you are registered blind or severely sight impaired
    • you live with someone who is registered blind or severely sight impaired
  • If the person who is registered blind is not the current licence holder for your address, you'll need to transfer the licence to their name.
  • You can do this by contacting TV Licensing.
    • Telephone: 0844 800 6737
    • Minicom: 0300 790 6050
Concessionary TV licence for people living in residential care
  • If you live in residential care, you may be entitled to an Accommodation for Residential Care (ARC) concessionary TV licence. It costs 7.50 a year.
  • The ARC concessionary licence is available to people living in certain types of residential care accommodation who are either:
    • disabled
  • aged 60 or over and retired

Directgov - Television licence discount

  • Your housing manager can tell you whether your accommodation is eligible for the ARC concessionary licence. They can also apply for a licence on your behalf. To check if you qualify, they can call the TV Licensing Concessionary Licensing Team on 0844 800 5808.
  • You only need a TV licence if you watch TV in your own separate living area. It is the responsibility of the housing manager to make sure that TVs in common areas are correctly licensed.
  • If you have a full TV licence and you move into residential care, you may be able to claim a refund. The refund may cover any unused quarters remaining in the year once your scheme has been approved. Your housing manager should apply to TV Licensing for a refund on your behalf.

Required Information[edit]

  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • National Insurance number
  • Nationality
  • Contact address
  • Telephone/Mobile number


Need for the Document[edit]

If you are registered blind or severely sight impaired, you can get a 50 per cent reduction on the cost of a TV licence. You may also be entitled to a concessionary TV licence if you live in residential care or sheltered housing.

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]

Directgov - Television licence discount



More information which might help people.