Wikiprocedure > United Kingdom > England

England - How To Apply for New or Renewal of Child Passport

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


The Identity and Passport Service (IPS) has one standard form for all types of individual passport applications, including renewals. It comes with full instructions, whether you fill in the paper version or complete it online. Learn how to get the form and what fee and supporting documents you need to send.

You will need to send specific documents if youre applying for a passport for a child youve adopted. For more details:

The application form
  • First you need the get the application form from IPS and complete it. You can get the form in four ways. You can:
    • Complete the application form online, in which case IPS will print out the completed form and send it to you to sign and return with the supporting documents
    • Collect it from a Post Office branch that offers the Check & Send service
    • Request an application form online and IPS will send it to you in the post - allow up to five working days for delivery
    • Call the Passport Adviceline 0300 222 0000 and ask IPS to send it to you in the post - allow up to five working days for delivery
  • The child's parent or someone with parental responsibility should sign the form.
  • If the parents are divorced but were:
    • Married at the time of the child's birth (or when the mother became pregnant, for those living in Scotland)
    • Married at any time after the child's birth
  • either parent can sign, unless there is a court order about parental responsibility or about the child having a passport. If there is such a court order you should send it to IPS with the application.
  • Note that a custody or maintenance order does not automatically take away the other parent's parental responsibility.
  • If the parents are not married to each other, the mother can give permission. If the father is not married to the child's mother (and is not divorced from her as described above), he can give permission only if:
    • He has a parental responsibility order or agreement (in which case he should send this with the application)
    • He is named on the birth certificate and the birth was jointly registered on or after 15 April 2002 in Northern Ireland, 1 December 2003 in England and Wales, 4 May 2006 in Scotland
  • If another adult is acting as parent they should send proof of their parental responsibility to IPS.
  • There is more information about parental responsibility in the parents section.

Completing parental details in section 4 of the application form
  • Where parents are of the opposite sex, the mother should enter her details in the boxes marked 'Mother or Parent 1'. While the father should enter his details in the boxes marked 'Father or Parent 2'.
  • Where parents are of the same sex, the parent who appears first on the parental order, birth certificate, adoption certificate or other relevant documents should enter their details in the boxes marked 'Mother or Parent 1'. While the parent named second on the parental order should their details in the boxes marked 'Father or Parent 2'.

Filling out the mother and father fields if you're a lone parent
  • If you are the only parent of your child, fill in either the 'Mother or Parent 1' or 'Father or Parent 2' sections of the form, as applicable, and leave the spaces for another parent blank. Add a note in section 8 to show that you are the only parent and why (whether you do not know the other parent of the child, you adopted alone, or an individual parent whose child was born using assisted reproduction treatment etc.)

Renewing or replacing your child's passport

You can renew or replace a damaged passport 9 months before the current passport expires. Time left on the passport will be added to the new one up to 9 months.

1.) To renew or replace your child's passport you must use the standard application form.

  • Fill in a form online: After completing the form Her Majestys Passport Office will post it back to you to check and sign.
  • You can also get a form from a Post Office that offers the Passport Check & Send service.
  • Or you can


Required Documents[edit]

List down the documents required for successfully completing the procedure.

1. Proof of child birth from the Hospital.

Advertise On This Page

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Please list down the office locations that can be approached for applying. External links can also be used for specifying office locations.



To apply for a first five-year child passport you must legally have "parental responsibility" to the child and your child must be under 16 and one of the following:

  • A British citizen
  • A British overseas territories citizen
  • A British overseas citizen

You have parental responsibility if you:

  • are the childs mother
  • are the childs father and are married to the childs mother
  • were married to the childs mother when the child was born (or, in Scotland, when the mother became pregnant)
  • have adopted the child (alone, or jointly)

To know more:


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links


Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.

Advertise On This Page

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 



Applying for a first child passport
  • To apply for a first five-year child passport your child must be under 16, a British citizen, a British overseas territories citizen and a British overseas citizen.
  • You will also need someone to countersign the application. Remember that IPS may need to contact them. Make sure they will be available and aren't on holiday. If they are away it will delay your application.
  • The rules can be complicated. There's more detailed information in the links below to 'Nationality groups who are eligible for a British passport' and 'How to get a passport if your child was adopted, born using a surrogate or born by assisted reproduction treatment'.
  • You can also call the IPS Passport Adviceline on 0300 222 0000 for help.

Children need their own passports
  • Before 5 October 1998, babies and children could be included on a parent or guardian's passport. In line with standard international practice and as a precaution against child abduction, children must now have their own passports to travel abroad.
  • A child passport is valid for five years. When it runs out you can renew it for another five years, and so on.
  • Directgov provides all the information you need to apply for or renew a child passport. However, if you would like full details of the Identity and Passport Service's (IPS) policy relating to children, see 'IPS children policy'.

If your child is already on your passport
  • Before 5 October 1998 children could be included on a parent's passport. Any passports including children will have expired on or before 4 October 2008. If your child was included on your old passport, you will need to:
    • Renew your own passport
    • Apply for a separate first child passport for any children aged under 16 years

Is your child too old for a child passport
  • If your child is under 16 they need a child passport to travel abroad. They can use this passport until it expires. For example, a 15-year-old who needs a passport must apply for a five-year child passport. They can use this passport until it runs out, in this example when the 'child' is 20.
  • When a child reaches 16, the next passport they apply for once their current passport runs out should be a ten-year adult passport renewal.
  • Young people aged 16 or over who are applying for a passport for the first time should apply for an adult passport.

For Adopted Children

  • If the child was adopted in the UK, parents can apply for a British passport if either the adoptive parent is British and was usually living in the UK (habitually resident) when the child was adopted.
  • If the child was adopted overseas:
    • Adopted before 1 June 2003 - The child doesnt automatically qualify for a British passport - even if one of the parents is a British citizen. Eligibility of the child to obtain a passport will depend on the country the adoption took place. For help with the application process contact the Passport Adviceline.
    • Adopted on or after 1 June 2003 - parents may apply for a British passport if either parent is British and the British parent was usually living (habitually resident) in the UK when the child was adopted. Only adoptions conducted under the Hague Convention are recognised. You must send the childs full Hague Convention adoption certificate showing the parents details. Also send evidence of the British parents nationality status (example: British passport issued before the date of adoption, you can just provide the passport number at section 4 of the application form). If the passport is not available, there are other documents you can send, to know more:

Foster children and children in care

  • Contact the Passport Adviceline to inquire on how you can apply for a passport.

Children born through assisted reproduction or surrogacy

Renewing a child passport
  • You can apply to renew your child's passport if you still have their last passport and:
    • It was a standard five-year child passport
    • It is not damaged
    • You do not need to change their name or national status
  • You can apply to renew the passport at any time. If there is any time left on the old passport, IPS will add it to the new passport, up to a maximum of nine months.
  • You should always renew if the passport:
    • Is full
    • Has run out
  • If the child's last passport is lost or damaged, please follow the instructions in 'Replace a lost, stolen or damaged passport'.

Making a note of the application barcode number
  • Make sure you make a note of the application barcode number before sending it to IPS. You will need this if you want to make enquiries about your application or track its progress.

Required Information[edit]

  • Full Name
  • Full Address
  • Country
  • Postcode
  • Email Address


Need for the Document[edit]

Children can no longer be added to a parent's passport but need one of their own to travel abroad. Apply early for babies and children's passports.

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]

Place some external links which might help.



More information which might help people.