Wikiprocedure > United Kingdom > England

England - How To Apply for Incapacity Benefits

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


  • If you couldnt work because of illness or disability before 31 January 2011, you may be receiving Incapacity Benefit.
  • Incapacity Benefit is paid at three weekly rates:
    • Short-term (lower) IB is paid for the first 28 weeks
    • Short-term (higher) IB is paid from weeks 29 to 52
    • Long-term IB is paid from week 53
  • You may be able to get extra benefit - an 'age addition' - with your long-term Incapacity Benefit. You may be able to get this if you were under 45 when you became too ill or disabled to work.
  • You may be able to get extra benefit for your partner, civil partner or the person who looks after your children.

How to appeal against your refused claim

  • You can ask the office that dealt with your claim to look at their benefit decision again if:
    • Your claim for Incapacity Benefit is refused
    • You have questions about your payment
  • If you're still unhappy with the outcome, you can appeal.


Required Documents[edit]

  • Your Identity
  • Birth certificate, passport, drivers licence for proof of age
  • Residential Proof
  • Medical Certificate
Identity documents

You must provide original documents. DVLA wont accept photocopies or laminated certificates.

United Kingdom (UK) digital passports
  • If you hold a digital passport (the photograph and signature appear on the same page), DVLA can confirm your identity with the Identity and Passport Service. You dont have to send your passport to DVLA.
  • When applying online youll be asked to provide your nine digit passport number allowing DVLA to confirm your identity.
  • If you apply by post, using the D1 'application for a driving licence', write your nine digit passport number and your signature in the 'confirming your identity' section of the D1 form.
Other types of identification
  • DVLA also accepts the following documents as confirmation of your identity. Unlike the digital passport though, you'll need to send your identity document with your application:
    • Full valid current passport
    • Biometric residence permit (formerly known as the identity card for foreign nationals)
    • UK certificate of naturalisation
  • Do not send in your passport if you need it within the next month. If this is the case you should consider delaying your licence application until you can send it with your passport to DVLA.
  • If youve reached State Pension age, you can provide originals of one of the following in your name:
    • Recent (within three months) bank or building society statement showing your pension payment and National Insurance number
    • BR2102, BR2103 or BR5899 letter confirming your eligibility for the State Pension
UK birth and adoption certificates
  • UK birth and adoption certificates can also be used, however, as they are not absolute proof of identity, they must be accompanied by one of the following:
    • National Insurance card or a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions containing your National Insurance number
    • Photocopy of the front page of a benefits book or an original benefits claim letter
    • P45, P60 or pay slip
    • Marriage certificate or divorce papers (decree nisi or absolute)
    • College or university union card or school record
  • If you don't have a birth or adoption certificate, or the one that you have doesnt show your full name or country of birth, contact your local register office.

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Jobcentre Plus

Tax Credit Helpline



An individual could have been eligible for Incapacity Benefit if:

  • They were not entitled to statutory sick pay; and
  • They satisfied the national insurance contribution test; and
  • They were under pension age when the period of incapacity for work begins; and
  • They were incapable of work.

It is also possible for Incapacity Benefit claimants to receive a 'top-up' of Income Support payments.


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.    


Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain the processing your application.    

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 



  • If you couldnt work because of illness or disability before 31 January 2011, you may be receiving Incapacity Benefit.
  • Since 31 January 2011 no new Incapacity Benefit claims have been accepted. You should claim Employment and Support Allowance instead.
  • Incapacity Benefit is paid at three weekly rates.
  • You may be able to get extra benefit - an 'age addition' - with your long-term Incapacity Benefit. You may be able to get this if you were under 45 when you became too ill or disabled to work.
  • You may be able to get extra benefit for your partner, civil partner or the person who looks after your children.
  • All benefits, pensions and allowances are paid into an account. This is the safest, most convenient and efficient method of payment.
  • It's important you contact your local Jobcentre Plus office if your circumstances change - for example if:
    • You do any work including voluntary work
    • You start training and get a training allowance
    • You change your address
    • You have been in hospital for 52 weeks and part of your benefit is paid for another adult or child
    • You go abroad
  • For more information, contact your local Jobcentre Plus office.
Pension income rules
  • If you have a gross pension income of more than 85 a week, the amount of benefit will be reduced by half of the excess.
  • The excess is the difference between 85 and the actual pension income. For example, for a pension income of 100, the excess is 15. The amount of Incapacity Benefit payable is reduced by half of that, which is 7.50.
  • This rule does not apply if:
    • You were in receipt of Incapacity Benefit before 6 April 2001
    • Your claim is made under the linking rules for Incapacity Benefit and links back to before 6 April 2001
    • You receive the highest rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance
Working while claiming Incapacity Benefit - 'Permitted Work'
  • If you're getting Incapacity Benefit you may be able to do some types of work - within limits. This is called 'Permitted Work'. But if you get Incapacity Benefit and a wage, this could affect any income-related benefits you receive, like:
    • Income Support
    • Housing Benefit
    • Council Tax Benefit
Tax credits and other support
  • You may be able to get Child Tax Credit if you're responsible for at least one child. If you're working, and on a low income, you may be able to get Working Tax Credit.
  • You can order a claim pack over the phone by calling the Tax Credit Helpline.
Changes for people already claiming incapacity benefits
  • Your claim will be reviewed if you are getting one of the following benefits:
    • Incapacity Benefit
    • Income Support paid because of an illness or disability
    • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Jobcentre Plus will write to you when your benefit claim is going to be reviewed. Not everyone will be contacted at the same time. This started in October 2010 and is expected to be completed in 2014.
  • Until your claim is reviewed you will continue to get your current benefit, as long as you still meet the conditions for that benefit.
  • When your claim has been reviewed your Incapacity Benefit payments will stop. You will be paid Employment and Support Allowance if you meet the conditions for claiming that benefit.
  • This change will not affect you if you:
    • Claim Employment and Support Allowance already
    • Are due to reach State Pension age before 6 April 2014
    • Are already over State Pension age and get Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Use the following link to find out more about how your claim will be reviewed.

Required Information[edit]

  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • National Insurance number
  • Nationality
  • Contact address
  • Telephone/Mobile number
  • Information about your illness or disability


Need for the Document[edit]

Incapacity Benefit (IB) is a United Kingdom state benefit that is paid to those below the State Pension age who cannot work because of illness or disability before 31 January 2011, you may be receiving Incapacity Benefit.

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]

  • Directgov - Incapacity Benefit
  • Employment and Support Allowance introduction
  • Benefits if you are ill or disabled - changes you need to know about
  • How benefits and pensions are paid
  • 'Permitted Work' - working while claiming Incapacity Benefit