England - How To Add higher categories to your Driving Licence
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- You can apply for a provisional entitlement for a higher category of vehicle to be put on your licence when you have the right entitlement to your licence. For example, in order to apply for provisional entitlement to drive a lorry, minibus or bus, you must have a full car driver licence.
- After getting the provisional entitlement, you can take the test for the new category.
- If you pass the test, you can now have your provisional driver licence for the new category.
- There are times that lower categories are automatically upgraded when you pass the driving test for a larger vehicle category.
- However, rules are different for trailer entitlements. If you get the trailer entitlement for larger vehicle category, you won't get the trailer entitlement for smaller category.
- Your identity documents
- Your Residential address proof
- Your current driving licence
- Identity documents
- UK Biometric Passports (If you have this, you can use the 9-digit passport number for your driving licence application.)
- Other Identity Documents (if you don't have a biometric passport): These must be in original copies.
- a full valid current passport
- a biometric residence permit (formerly known as the identity card for foreign nationals)
- a UK certificate of naturalisation
- for pensioner: These must be in original copies.
- recent (within 3 months) bank or building society statement showing your pension payment and National Insurance number
- BR2102, BR2103 or BR5899 letter confirming your eligibility for the State Pension
- UK birth and adoption certificates: These must be send with one of the following:
- National Insurance card or a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions showing your National Insurance number
- photocopy of the front page of a benefits book or an original benefits claim letter
- P45, P60 or pay slip
- marriage certificate or divorce papers (decree nisi or absolute)
- college or university union card or school record
- Proof of evidence if you have changed name
Office Locations & Contacts
- Driver Licensing Enquiries
- Telephone: 0300 790 6801
- Textphone: 0300 123 1278
- Fax: 0300 123 0784
- Fax from outside the UK: +44 (0)1792 786 369
- Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm
- Saturday, 8am to 2pm
- Drivers Customer Services
- Correspondence Team
- SA6 7JL
- DVLA Offices
If you hold a full car driving licence (category B), you may apply for provisional entitlements in a higher category.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
A Driving Licence is valid for 10 years.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- If you passed your driving test on or after 1 January 1997 and you want to learn to drive a larger vehicle, you may be able to apply for the higher category
- If you pass your test for a larger vehicle category, in certain circumstances a lower category will be upgraded. This does not apply, however, to a driver who has already passed a test which involves trailer entitlement for a larger or equivalent vehicle.
- As a general guideline:
- Lorry entitlements can upgrade bus entitlements
- Bus entitlements cannot upgrade lorry entitlements
- Both lorry and bus entitlements can upgrade car entitlements
- For further information regarding staging or upgrading of vehicle category entitlements, you can write to Drivers Customer Services (DCS) Correspondence Team.
Drivers Customer Services
- Return of your identity documents
- DVLA will return your licence and identity documents separately, it cannot guarantee to return your identity documents by a set date. If you would like your identity documents returned by special delivery, include a stamped self-addressed special delivery envelope with your application. Keep a note of the serial number.
- If you do not get your identity documents back within two weeks of receiving your photocard licence, phone DVLA Customer Enquiries on 0300 790 6801.
Unless you contact DVLA within three months of the date you sent your application, it will be difficult to carry out the necessary investigation.
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Residential address
- Telephone number
- Email Address
- Licence number
- Date of issue
- Date of expiry
Need for the Document
If you hold a full car driving licence (category B), it may be possible for you to apply for provisional entitlements in a higher category. There are also circumstances that will upgrade a lower category on your licence if you pass the driving test in a higher category.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- UK Government:
- The Highway Code:
- Directgov How to add higher categories to your driving licence (staging and upgrading)
- Vehicle categories explained
- Identity documents and photograph criteria
More information which might help people.