England - How To Add Parents Details to a Birth Record
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Both parents should go to the register office to provide the necessary information for the re-registration. If this is not possible, they need to complete the Statutory declaration of acknowledgement of parentage form.
- Your ID card
- Residential Proof
Office Locations & Contacts
- For your local register office
Provide eligibility criteria's for going through this procedure.
There is no charge for re-registrations, but if you would like a new birth certificate displaying the changes, you need to buy one.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- Adding the natural fathers details
- If the parents are unmarried and would like the natural fathers details added to the birth record, they need to re-register the birth so that a new birth record can be created to replace the original one.
- In these circumstances, you will need to complete an application for the re-registration of a childs birth form.
- Both parents should attend the register office to provide the necessary information for the re-registration. If this is not possible, they also need to complete the Statutory declaration of acknowledgement of parentage form.
The natural parents have married each other since the birth
- If the natural parents have married each other since the birth, they need to re-register the birth so that a new birth record can be created showing the child as a child of the parents marriage.
- In these circumstances, you need to complete an Application for re-registration following parents marriage form.
Following a Court issued Declaration of Parentage
- When a court in England or Wales issues a Declaration of Parentage, a birth can be re-registered to show the findings of the court.
- A copy of the declaration is sent directly to the General Register Office for the birth to be re-registered. You do not need to do anything.
- To find out how to apply for a Declaration of Parentage, contact a solicitor or the Chief Clerk at your local Magistrates or County Court.
Getting a new birth certificate
- There is no charge for re-registrations, but if you would like a new birth certificate displaying the changes, you need to buy one.
- You can order certificates at the register office you are dealing with, or online.
- Contact the General Register Office on +44 (0) 300 123 1837 or email: [email protected]
- Name of child
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Natural Fathers and Mothers details like name, date and place of birth, occupation
- Marriage details like date and place of marriage
- Contact Address
- Telephone number
Need for the Document
Your childs birth needs to be re-registered if you wish to add the natural fathers details or if the parents have married each other since the birth.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Your Child birth certificate can be used for all legal purposes and child benefits.
- Directgov - Adding a parents details to a birth record
- For local register office
More information which might help people.