England - Apply for a Shotgun Certificate Or Licence
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- It may be a good thing if you will seek advice from other firearm users or shooting organisations first before applying for a Shotgun Certificate or Licence. They may help you decide which type of certificate you need to apply for.
- Apply for a Shotgun Certificate or Licence from your local police force's Firearms Licensing Unit.
- A link is provided under 'Office Locations & Contacts' which you can use to search for your local police force's website.
- Complete an application form. Application forms can be obtained from the front desk of any Police Station in the City or from the Licensing Office.
- You will need to provide 1 passport photograph.
- Have 2 referees for a firearm certificate and 1 referee for shotgun certificate.
- Before a certificate is issued to you, you must also prove to the chief officer of police that you’re eligible to have a firearms certificate and pose no danger to public safety or to the peace.
- Pay the fee for the certificate you are applying for (Check out the website of your local firearms licensing unit for the fees).
- Completed application form
- One passport photograph
Office Locations & Contacts
Following link provides Police Office Locations : UK police force websites
Applicants for a firearm or shotgun certificate, must be able to show proof the he or she is a fit and proper person to be entrusted with firearms.
There are certain prohibitions from the possession of firearms (including shotguns, antique firearms and air weapons). Certain individuals are not only prohibited from possessing their own guns but are also prohibited, for example, to take part in clay pigeon shoots, or from possession of guns on a shooting range.
In simple terms, the following applies:
- Any person sentenced to serve between three months and three years, (or who has been given a suspended sentence of this duration) is prohibited from possessing any firearm for a period of five years.
- Any person sentenced to serve a prison sentence of three years or more is prohibited as above for life
(These prohibitions may be is lifted on appeal to a Crown Court).
Both firearm and shotgun application requires the applicant to disclose previous convictions. It is an offence under the Firearms Act to make a false declaration when answering this question.
Check out the website of your local firearms licensing unit for the fees. LINK
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
A certificate usually lasts 5 years from the date it was issued or renewed.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
Please provide other instructions related to the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
You need a firearms certificate or licence before you can own, buy or acquire a firearm or shotgun. You will also need a certificate to buy ammunition.
Information which might help
Shotgun certificate: It won’t be given or renewed if the chief officer of police has a reason that you shouldn’t be allowed to have a shotgun under the Firearms Act. Or if they don’t think you have a good reason to have, buy or acquire a shotgun.
European Firearms Pass
If you are planning to travel within Europe with your guns, you will need to obtain a European Firearms Pass. You can apply for this at the same time as your firearms certificate.
European firearms passes are usually valid for 5 years or the length of your firearm certificate - whichever is shorter.
You can renew a European firearms pass by applying to the chief officer of police in your local police force.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.