Wikiprocedure > United Kingdom > England

England - Apply for Tuition Fee Loan

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


New students from England

Most full-time and part-time students can apply online to Student Finance England.

  1. Create a student finance online account - LINK. When you create an account, youll be given a unique Customer Reference Number and be asked to create a password and secret answer. It is important to keep these safe as youll need them to log into your account to check the progress of your application and re-apply for student finance next year.
  2. Log in using your student finance account and submit your application. Before you start your online application, you should have the following to hand:
    your valid UK passport, if you have one;
    your university and course details;
    your bank account details;
    your National Insurance number.
    Note: Include details of your household income and get your parents (or partner) to support your application, if needed.
  3. Send in proof of identity, if needed.
  4. Sign and return the loan declaration, which you should receive within 6 weeks.

If you cant apply online, use Student finance forms.

You may call Student Finance England if you want to apply online but you cant use a computer without help.

Continuing students from England

Youre a continuing student if you got finance last year. Log in to your student finance account and apply online.

Theres a different process if you became a part-time student before 1 September 2012.

New EU students

  1. Download an application pack - use Student finance forms.
  2. Send in proof of identity, if needed.
  3. Youll get a letter confirming how much youll get, usually within 6 weeks.

Continuing EU students

If youre a continuing student youll be sent the application forms.


Required Documents[edit]

  • Completed application forms
  • For new full-time students, there are two types of evidence you will be asked to submit proof of identity and proof of household income - More Info
Details on how you can send your proof of identity

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Student Finance England
PO Box 210
Darlington DL1 9HJ

Telephone: 0300 100 0607
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Saturday and Sunday, 9am to 4pm

Textphone: 0300 100 0622
Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm

For EU students

Student Finance Services Non UK Team
Student Finance England
PO Box 89
Darlington DL1 9AZ

Telephone: 0141 243 3570
From outside the UK: +44 (0)141 243 3570
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5:30pm

European Economic Area (EEA) Migrant Worker Applications
Student Finance England
PO Box 89
Darlington DL1 9AZ

Department for Business, Innovation and Skills
1 Victoria Street

Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 020 7215 5000

More Info



Your qualification for student finance depends on:

Your university or college: Must be in the UK and either:

  • publicly funded (paid for by the government); or
  • privately funded but running individual courses that receive public funding.

Your course: The course must be offered in the UK, and one of the following:

  • a first degree, eg BA, BSc or BEd
  • a Foundation Degree
  • a Certificate of Higher Education
  • a Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
  • a Higher National Certificate (HNC)
  • a Higher National Diploma (HND)
  • a Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE)
  • Initial Teacher Training

Note: Get in touch with your university or college to ask if your course is recognised.

For part-time students: You need to study your course at a rate of at least 25% of an equivalent full-time course in each academic year. This is known as course intensity. You can check course intensity with your university or college.

If youve studied a higher education course before: Generally, youll only get student finance if youre doing your first higher education qualification. This is true even if your previous course was self-funded.

However, you may still get limited funding if, for example:

  • you change course
  • you leave your course but decide to start again
  • youre topping up a higher education qualification, eg youve finished an HNC, HND or Foundation Degree and now want to do an honours degree

Your age: Theres no upper age limit for Tuition Fee Loans or grants. To apply for a Maintenance Loan you have to be under 60 at the start of the course.

Your nationality or residency status:

  • Applicants must be a UK national or have settled status (no restrictions on how long you can stay)
  • Normally live in England
  • Have been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years before starting their course

Non-UK nationals must have settled status on the first day of the first academic year of the course - which could be 1 September, 1 January, 1 April or 1 July.

You might still be able to apply, if youre:

  • an EU national, or a relative of one;
  • a refugee, or a relative of one;
  • under Humanitarian Protection, or a relative of someone under Humanitarian Protection;
  • an EEA/Swiss migrant worker, or a relative of one;
  • the child of a Swiss national; or
  • the child of a Turkish worker.

If you normally live in the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man you cant apply to Student Finance England. You should contact the education authority on your island to apply for student finance.


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


You must apply for student finance every year.

Documents to Use[edit]

Student finance forms


Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 



Tuition Fee Loan: It pay for your course and have to paid back later on. Note: The rules are different if your course started before September 2012.

Depending on where you apply, your loan contract is with either the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) in England; the Department for Employment and Learning (DEL) in Northern Ireland; the Scottish Ministers; the Welsh Ministers or The Student Loans Company (SLC), which is a non-profit government organisation.

Student Loans Company (SLC): Responsible for:

  • paying the loans for English, Welsh, Northern Irish and EU students;
  • managing your account, including adding interest and refunding any overpayments; and
  • answering questions about your loan.

Applying for Student Finance: The easiest and quickest way to apply is online. You don not have to worry if you havent accepted a place at university or college yet. You can apply using your preferred choice and update the details later.

Required Information[edit]

A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure.
1. Date of Birth.
2. City or County of Birth.


Need for the Document[edit]

Following is a procedure on how students in England can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan.

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]

  • GOV.UK:
  • Student finance guides for 2015 to 2016:



More information which might help people.