Wikiprocedure > United Kingdom > England

England - Apply for Maintenance Grant

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


New students from England

  1. Create a student finance online account - LINK. When you create an account, youll be given a unique Customer Reference Number and be asked to create a password and secret answer. It is important to keep these safe as youll need them to log into your account to check the progress of your application and re-apply for student finance next year.
  2. Log in using your student finance account and submit your application. Before you start your online application, you should have the following to hand:
    your valid UK passport, if you have one;
    your university and course details;
    your bank account details;
    your National Insurance number.
    Note: Include details of your household income and get your parents (or partner) to support your application, if needed.
  3. Send in proof of identity, if needed.
  4. Print, sign and return the Student Finance Online Declaration Form

If you cant apply online, use Student finance forms.

You may call Student Finance England if you want to apply online but you cant use a computer without help.

Continuing students from England

Youre a continuing student if you got finance last year. Log in to your student finance account and apply online.

Theres a different process if you became a part-time student before 1 September 2012.


Required Documents[edit]

  • Completed application forms
  • For new full-time students, there are two types of evidence you will be asked to submit proof of identity and proof of household income - More Info
Details on how you can send your proof of identity

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Student Finance England
PO Box 210
Darlington DL1 9HJ

Telephone: 0300 100 0607
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Saturday and Sunday, 9am to 4pm

Textphone: 0300 100 0622
Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm



Maintenance Grants are offered to full-time UK students. Part-time and EU students cant apply.

Your qualification for student finance depends on:

Your university or college: Must be in the UK and either:

  • publicly funded (paid for by the government); or
  • privately funded but running individual courses that receive public funding.

Your course: The course must be offered in the UK, and one of the following:

  • a first degree, eg BA, BSc or BEd
  • a Foundation Degree
  • a Certificate of Higher Education
  • a Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
  • a Higher National Certificate (HNC)
  • a Higher National Diploma (HND)
  • a Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE)
  • Initial Teacher Training

Note: Get in touch with your university or college that ask if your course is recognised.

If youve studied a higher education course before: Generally, youll only get student finance if youre doing your first higher education qualification. This is true even if your previous course was self-funded.

However, you may still get limited funding if, for example:

  • you change course
  • you leave your course but decide to start again
  • youre topping up a higher education qualification, eg youve finished an HNC, HND or Foundation Degree and now want to do an honours degree

Your age: Theres no upper age limit for Tuition Fee Loans or grants. To apply for a Maintenance Loan you have to be under 60 at the start of the course.

Your nationality or residency status:

  • Applicants must be a UK national or have settled status (no restrictions on how long you can stay)
  • Normally live in England
  • Have been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years before starting their course

Non-UK nationals must have settled status on the first day of the first academic year of the course - which could be 1 September, 1 January, 1 April or 1 July.

You might still be able to apply, if youre:

  • an EU national, or a relative of one;
  • a refugee, or a relative of one;
  • under Humanitarian Protection, or a relative of someone under Humanitarian Protection;
  • an EEA/Swiss migrant worker, or a relative of one;
  • the child of a Swiss national; or
  • the child of a Turkish worker.

If you normally live in the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man you cant apply to Student Finance England. You should contact the education authority on your island to apply for student finance.


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


You must apply for student finance every year.

Documents to Use[edit]

Student finance forms


Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 



Maintenance Grant for living costs: Applicants may be asked to give details of their household income and course start date. The grant is paid into your bank account at the start of term. You dont have to pay it back, but any funds you get will reduce ?the Maintenance Loan you can get.

Applying for Student Finance: The easiest and quickest way to apply is online. You don not have to worry if you havent accepted a place at university or college yet. You can apply using your preferred choice and update the details later.

Required Information[edit]

A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure.
1. Date of Birth.
2. City or County of Birth.


Need for the Document[edit]

A Maintenance Grant helps students with their living costs throughout the academic year. Applicants can get up to 3,387 depending on their household income. The grant is paid in three instalments throughout the academic year.

Following is a procedure on how students in England can apply for a Maintenance Grant.

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]

  • GOV.UK:
  • Student finance guides for 2015 to 2016:
  • The Student Room:



More information which might help people.