Wikiprocedure > United Kingdom > England

England - Apply for Disabled Student Allowances (DSAs)

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


Applying for DSAs

To apply for Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs) complete a DSA1 form.

Send the completed forms to:

Student Finance England
PO Box 210

Needs assessment

  1. After your eligibility for DSAs is confirmed, Student Finance England may ask you to contact an assessment centre to work out what help you need. This process is called 'needs assessment'. Dont book this until Student Finance England asks you to. The assessment is paid for through any DSAs entitlement you may have.
  2. After the assessment, youll get a report listing equipment and other support you can get for your course.

Note: Dont buy any equipment until youve been assessed - you wont be reimbursed for it.


Required Documents[edit]

  • Completed application form
  • Proof of your eligibility:
    • Disabilities or long-term health condition: Report or letter from your doctor or consultant
    • Mental-health condition: Report or letter from your doctor or consultant - you can also fill in the Mental Health Evidence form
    • Specific learning difficulty like dyslexia: A diagnostic assessment from a psychologist or suitably qualified specialist teacher - youll need to get reassessed if you had this done when you were under 16

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Student Finance England
PO Box 210
Darlington DL1 9HJ

Telephone: 0300 100 0607
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Saturday and Sunday, 9am to 4pm

Textphone: 0300 100 0622
Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm

Contact the disability adviser at your university or college if you need advice about financial help.



Higher education students living in England, can apply for a Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) if they have a disability, including a:

  • long-term health condition
  • mental health condition
  • specific learning difficulty, eg. dyslexia

Applicants must meet the definition of disability under the Equality Act 2010.

Applicants must also:

  • be an undergraduate or postgraduate student (including Open University or distance learning)
  • have a condition that affects their ability to study
  • qualify for student finance from Student Finance England
  • be studying on a course that lasts at least a year

You can not get DSAs from Student Finance England if youre:

  • an EU student
  • eligible for an NHS Disabled Students Allowance (this is a separate scheme)
  • getting equivalent support from another funding source, eg from your university or a social work bursary

Your course must be in the UK and one of the following:

  • a first degree, eg BA, BSc or BEd
  • a Foundation Degree
  • a Certificate of Higher Education
  • a Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
  • a Higher National Certificate (HNC)
  • a Higher National Diploma (HND)
  • a Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE)
  • a postgraduate course
  • Initial Teacher Training

Get in touch with your university or college to ask if your course is recognised.

Part-time course intensity

For part-time students, your course intensity can affect how much you get.

Course intensity means how long your course takes to complete each year compared to an equivalent full-time course. You can check course intensity with your university or college.

The rules are different depending on when your course begins.

Part-time courses starting before 1 September 2012: Your course must not last more than twice as long as the equivalent full-time course.

Part-time courses starting from 1 September 2012: You must study at a rate of at least 25% of an equivalent full-time course in each academic year. The course must last at least a year.


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Application and Costs claim forms


Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 



Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs): Paid on top of your other student finance. DSAs will help you pay the extra costs you may have because of your disability. They dont have to be repaid. The amount you will get depends on your individual needs - not your household income. If youre a part-time student your course intensity can affect how much you get.

Money is paid either into your bank account or directly to the organisation providing the service or equipment.

Required Information[edit]

A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure.
1. Date of Birth.
2. City or County of Birth.


Need for the Document[edit]

Following is a procedure on how you can apply for a Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs).

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]

  • GOV.UK:



More information which might help people.