Dominican Republic - Renew a Passport
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Fill in and submit the application form along with all other required documents.
- Pay appropriate fee.
- In case a consular office has no passport printing equipment, another consular office may print the passport, which means it will take a much longer time for the passport to be issued and the applicant assuming the cost of postage and shipment of the document.
- For minors, application must be submitted by their parents or legal guardian.
- Expired passport book
- Birth certificate legalized by the Central Electoral Board of the Dominican Republic.
- Recent photograph sized 4 x 5 inches, colored with white background, without shadow, in the face without earrings, no piercing, no chain, no smile, no gesture, hair backwards, with ears and forehead uncovered, without flequito and taken up close
- Dominican Electoral Identity Card
- Some consular offices may have a photography service available. It will be advisable for you to inquire first before going to the consular office.
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores
Avenida Independencia No.752
Estancia San Gernimo, Distrito Nacional,
Capital de la Repblica Dominicana.
- Central: 809.987.7001 / 535.6280
- RAI: 809.987.7019
- Legalization: 809.987.7638
- Consular: 809.987.7624
- RH: 809.987.7027
- Financial: 809.987.7111
- Administrative: 809.987.7089
- Protocol: 809.987.7031
Email: [email protected]
Every Dominican citizen has the right to request for a new passport book when the previous one has expired.
Application fee: 60.00
The amount payable is in U.S. dollars (USD), in European areas it will be EUROS or in the currency of the country where the Consular Office is.
The amount of application fee varies, depending on the cost of living in the city where the Consular Office is located.
Biometric Passports are valid for six (6) years.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Processing time may take about 3 to 10 working days, depending on the urgency of previous requests and staff availability.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
A passport need to be renewed after 6 years from the time it was issued. Dominicans living abroad can go to a Dominican Consulate to have their passport renewed.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
A passport is a document, issued by the national government. It certifies the identity and nationality of the holder for travel abroad. It contains information about the holder; like name, gender, date and place of birth.
This document does not in itself entitle the passport holder entry into another country, nor consular protection while abroad nor any other privileges. However, it does normally allows the passport holder to return to the country where the passport was issued. Rights to consular protection arises from international treaties, while the holder's return to the issuing country depends on the laws prevailing in that country.
Following are procedures on how to renew a passport.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Consular services portal of the Dominican Republic:
More information which might help people.