Cook Islands - Register as a Voter
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
To register as a voter
- To register as a voter, you only have to go the office of the nearest Registrar of Electors where you will be asked a number of questions.
- Fill out an application form to register for the Parliamentary elections.
- Once registered, it will not be necessary for you to register again unless special circumstances arises.
Change of address
You must notify the Registrar of Electors if:
- You have changed your address
- You have changed your name by marriage or deed poll.
You must submit your notification a month after the change.
Note: The date when the main and supplementary roll will be closed is determined by the Chief Registrar of Electors. The date will be announced when the date of the election is known.
- Completed registration/application form
- Identification document
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Finance and Economic Management Building (behind Bounty Bookshops)
Cook Islands Statistics Office
P.O. Box 120
Phone: (682) 29-511
E-mail: [email protected]
Fax: (682) 21-511
Office Hours: 8:00am 4:00pm, weekdays (excluding public holidays)
You may register as an elector if you are all of the following:
- 18 years old or older
- a Cook Islander, or a permanent resident of Cook Islands or a New Zealand citizen
- lived continuously in the Cook Islands for more than one year
- resided in the Cook Islands during the three months prior to application
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Please provide instructions on obtaining the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
- Applicant's complete name
- Residential address
- Postal address
- Period of residence in the Islands
- Telephone number
- Date of birth
Need for the Document
An election is a process that allows eligible members of a population to choose who they would like to hold public office. The election process gives residents/citizens the opportunity to make decisions regarding policies, programs and future directions the Government must take through their elected officials.
An electoral roll is a list of all those registered to vote, in a particular place. For those that are eligible, voter registration is compulsory in Cook Islands.
Following are procedures on how you can register as a voter.
Information which might help
Elections in the Cook Islands
The Cook Islands has a Westminster-style system of parliamentary government, with 24 elected members serving a term of four years. Elections for the Parliament of the Cook Islands must be held at the end of each term of Parliament.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Ministry of Finance and Economic Management Website:
More information which might help people.