Cambodia - Apply for Marriage Certificate
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
How to apply
- Both parties with the intended to marry must visit the Khmer or embassy/consulate of Cambodia with all the required documents and photocopies
- Submit your writing request form application to the Khmer
- Applicants must be accompanied by 2 witness before the local registry office to take oath of marriage
The Chief or member of the People's Committee of the Commune or Section Registrar Office (in French "officer d'Etat Civil") must make a public announcement of the marriage ceremony by posting a publication at the house of the bride and at the office of Commune or Section in the jurisdiction where the bride resides.
The publication shall contain the followings:
- Family name, name, age, occupation and place of abode of the future husband and wife;
- Family name, name, age, occupation and place of abode of the parents of the future spouses (if father or mother deceased, it must be written down as "deceased").
- Timeliness of complaint.
C) Within 10 day if the is no complain/ objection, an approval of the application of marriage will be registry by the civil registrar officer
D) The certificate will be issued either by the Chief of Commune, from the region in which the wedding ceremony takes place or the civil registry officer may attend the wedding ceremony.
- Certified copy of birth certificates
- Valid Passports and certified copies (obtained from your Embassy in Cambodia or the Cambodian Embassy in your resident country)
- Visas and photocopies
- Certificate of No Impediment/Affidavit of Single Status
- Affidavit of Marriage (sworn at the Civil Registry Office in Cambodia before the Consol or Vice-Consol)
- Criminal Records
- Certificate on Profession (showing monthly income)
- Divorce or death certificates, if applicable
- Medical Certificate
- Marriage Application Form (a similar form exists for two foreigners applying for marriage in Cambodia): A written request for marriage applications must be sent to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. You will need to know the area or province that you plan to marry. The application lists supporting documents that must be attached to the application. Some of these documents may need to be legalized at the couple’s Embassy in Cambodia or prior to leaving at the Cambodian Embassy in your resident country. Upon approval of the bride and groom’s application, the application must then be submitted to the Civil Registrar.
- NB All documents must be submitted in Cambodian (Khmer) or English. Contact the Embassy in your home country or your Embassy in Cambodia for an authorized translator. If your documents are translated, be prepared to submit the original copies in your native language for verification as well as the translated version.
Office Locations & Contacts
Department of General Administration,
Office of Statistic & Civil Registration
General Department of Local Administration
Ministry of Interior
Address: # 275 Norodom Blvd., Phnom Penh
Fax / Phone: (855) 16 822 280
E-Mail: [email protected]
- Man whose age is 20 years or more and a woman whose age is 18 years or more.
- A person whose sex is the same sex as the other;
- A person whose penis is impotent;
- A person who has leprous, tuberculosis, cancer or venereal diseases which are not completely cured;
- A person who is insane, and a person who has mental defect;
- A person who was bound by prior marriage which is not yet dissolved.
- Marriage certificate (Khmer citizen with Khmer citizen) 15000(riel)
- Marriage certificate (Foreigner with Khmer citizen) 30000(riel)
- Copy of marriage certificate 3000(riel)
- Certificate of wedding announcement 3000(riel)
A marriage certificate is valid immediately after its authenticated by Cambodian authorities until a divorce is sought
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
It takes between 7 and 13 workings days to register a marriage and process a marriage certificate in Cambodia.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- Civil and religious weddings are legally recognized weddings performed in Cambodia.
- Weddings must be registered with the Civil Registry Office in order to be recognized.
- Two witnesses over 18 years of age must be present for the ceremony and provide their passports.
- Both parties must stay within the district in Cambodia for 21 days prior to filing a Notice of Intention to Marry.
- You will need to file your Notice of Intention to Marry with the Civil Registry Office at least 10 days prior to the wedding.
- Name of both spouses
- Date and place of birth of both spouses
- Nationality of both spouses
- Name and place of birth of witnesses
- Medical report
- Identification /passport information
Need for the Document
Cambodian Law provided complete right &freedom to marriage for a man & woman having Suitable qualification. Marriage Certificates are issued from the Chief of Commune, from the region in which the wedding ceremony takes place.
Information which might help
- Both parties must stay within the district of their Embassy or Consulate in Cambodia for 21 days prior to filing a Notice of Intention to Marry. It is recommended that you make an appointment in advance with the Consul or Vice-Consul, to be assured that you can deliver, in person, your oath of intention to marry upon the completion of your 21 day residency (this does not include the day you arrived).
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
In a special case where a man does not reach the age of 20 years and where a woman does not reach the age of 18 years, a marriage may be legitimized, upon the consent by the parents or guardians, if the woman becomes pregnant.