Wikiprocedure > Austria

Austria - Register to Get Married

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


  • Please see the 'Office Locations and Contacts' in this page for the list of offices where you can proceed.
  • You can register to have a civil marriage as early as six months prior to the desired wedding date, because the statement of marriageability is only valid for a maximum of six months.
  • There is no minimum interval between registration and the marriage ceremony. However, in larger cities expect an average waiting time of two to six weeks.
  • Prior to the wedding the civil status office determines the marriageablitly of the fiancs during an oral interview with the help of the presented documents.
  • During this oral trial usually both partners have to appear in person. Then a certification of marriageablity will be prepared.
  • When registering for a civil marriage, the partners can declare to the registrar which name the couple intends to use when married. For that reason it is advisable to decide on the name desired before registering to get married. Partners must have agreed on the name no later than on their wedding day.
  • If one of the partners does not speak German, the couple must bring a sworn interpreter with them.

Ads by Google

Required Documents[edit]

Austrian citizens, who are single and of legal majority[edit]

  • Official identification with photo
  • Copy from the birth register; the copy should have been issued within the last six months; or a copy of the Birth certificate
  • Proof of citizenship
  • Residence registration form or proof of current residence (e.g., confirmation by your hotel)
  • Registrars can perform an online inquiry in the central register [Zentrales Melderegister] concerning people who are registered in Austria. In this case there is no need of bringing a residence registration form.
  • If applicable, documentary proof of academic degrees

If you were previously married or had a registered partnership[edit]

  • Marriage certificate(s) of previous marriages or certificate(s) of previous registered partnerships
  • Proof of nullification/annulment or divorce of previous marriages (Resolution or decree with valid confirmation of the outcome, including a stamp attesting validity!), decree of the nullification of previous registered partnerships
  • Death certificate of the late spouse
  • Death certificate of a late registered partner

If you and your future spouse have one or several biological children born out of wedlock[edit]

  • Birth certificate(s) of the child(ren)
  • Statement of paternity of the biological children (if the father is not recorded on the birth certificate(s))
  • Proof of citizenship, if available
  • Proof of the childrens residence

Anyone who is not a legally independent adult (including those not of marriageable age)[edit]

  • For 16 to 18 year olds:
  • Declaration of marriageability issued by a court (with valid confirmation of validity, including a stamp attesting validity!)
  • Written approval by legal guardians
  • If a trustee has been appointed, his or her written approval or a relevant court decision

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

  • The civil status office responsible for the place of residence of one of the partners:
    • The register office or register office association [Standesamt oder Standesamtsverband]
    • In statutory cities: the register office [Standesamt] of the Magistrate
      • In Vienna: the register offices [Standesmter in Wien] in Vienna
  • If you have no permanent or current residence in Austria, the register office of your last place of residence in Austria is responsible. In all other cases, the Register Office "Vienna Inner City"

Please follow the link for more information;jsessionid=080BF00EB065C6CDAED88D4F7166234D.tomcat_help2?execution=e1s1&gemeindeplzeingabe:_idcl=gemeindeplzeingabe_j_id26

Ads by Google


Provide eligibility criteria's for going through this procedure.


Depending on the number of documents required, fees may vary. All fees and charges, including those for performing the wedding ceremony and issuing the marriage certificate(s), are due when you register to get married.

  • Record of marriageability [Niederschrift zur Ermittlung der Ehefhigkeit]: 14,30 euro
  • Possible additional recording fees for documents:
    • 3,90 euro for each document that has not previously been recognised, or had a fee imposed (e.g. divorce decree, translations)
    • 7,20 euro for each foreign certificate that has not previously been recognised, or had a fee imposed (e.g. marriage certificate, birth certificate, death certificate)
    • 14,30 euro per confirmation (e.g. certification of marriageability, residence permit)
  • Wedding ceremony:
    • 5,45 euro federal administration fee if the wedding ceremony is performed during regular business hours at the register office
    • 54,50 euro federal administration fee if the wedding ceremony is performed outside the register office
    • 10,90 euro federal administration fee if the wedding is performed outside regular business hours of the register office
  • Issuance of marriage certificates [Heiratsurkunden]: 9,30 euro each (usually two or three copies)


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Ads by Google

Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 

Ads by Google


  • Anyone getting married must first register with the register office of the place of residence of one of the two partners.
  • The wedding ceremony may be performed at another register office.

Required Information[edit]

A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure.
1. Date of Birth.
2. City or County of Birth.

Ads by Google

Need for the Document[edit]

If you desire to get legally married in Austria, the future spouses must be present at the same time and personally state their wish to get married in front of a registrar.

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]

Place some external links which might help

Ads by Google


More information which might help people.