Austria - Register a Marriage
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Before the marriage, the civil status office must determine in a hearing, the capacity to marry the fiance basis of the submitted documents. At this hearing, in principle, must be present at both fiance.
- There is process of determination of the capacity of parties to marry.
- At your first appointment, you must immediately submit all required documents and evidence. Often it can take longer to obtain the relevant documentation. Authorities will inform you what documents are required on various cases, you will need to talk to the registrar.
- In some cases, it is sufficient if a fiance / fianc an register alone. Before enrolling at the registry office, you have to pick up the "Declaration to determine the conditions for marriage" available from any registry office. It must specify the non-appearing fianc / fiance of not appearing preventing a reason. The form should be lodged by the other fianc / fiance from the other when the request for marriage.
For Austrians, single and has legal capacity to marry:
- Official photo identification
- Copy from the register of births , the exhibition for no more than six months, or a copy of the relevant certificate. At birth 1.1.1939 before you check with the responsible authority.
- Proof of citizenship
- Confirming the message or proof of stay ( eg hotel confirmation) . For persons reported in Austria, the registrar / the registrar, a query in the Central Register (CRR) to perform. In this case, no confirmation of the report must be submitted.
- If possible, documentary proof of academic degrees.
If you are already married or in a registered partnership, additional requirements:
- Marriage certificate / s of all previous marriages and / or partnership deed / s of all previously justified registered partnerships
- Proof of cancellation, annulment or divorce of the previous marriage (with valid decision or judgment confirming the force of law - legal force stamps !), judgment on the dissolution of the former registered partnership / s
- Death certificate of spouse / spouse's
- Death certificate of the registered partner / registered partner
If you have child or several children together, additional requirements:
- Birth certificate (s) of the child or children together
- Acknowledgment of paternity of their children (if the father on the / the birth certificate (s) is not yet registered)
- Proof of citizenship, if available
- Proof of residence of children
If you have limited legal capacity or not of consenting age, additional requirement:
- 16 - to 18 year olds:
- Explanation of legal age Court (with valid confirmation of the legal decision)
- Consent of the guardian who has custody
- when ordering a Sachwalterin / a custodian: her / his consent or appropriate court order
If you are not present at the registration of the banns , you also need the form available at any registry office "statement to determine the conditions for marriage."
If one of the party is a foreign national, ask the registry office what additional documents you will need to submit.
- All foreign language documents must be submitted in original along with a certified translation in Austria.
- Whether certified translations from other states are recognized based on the applicable rules of procedure. In recognition of the documents, for example, an Apostille may be required. Additional information can be found on the website of the Federal Ministry for European and International Affairs.
- A foreign language document must be submitted in original along with a certified translation, the translation must be done usually only by sworn court interpreters / translators or interpreters / translators. A list of Austria in court-certified interpreters / interpreter can be found on the website of the Federal Ministry of Justice. This list can also be interpreters / interpreter from other EU - / EEA Member States to register.
Office Locations & Contacts
To search for a registry office: https://www.help.gv.at/linkaufloesung/applikation-flow?leistung=LA-HP-RL-StandesamtGeburtsort&flow=LO&quelle=HELP
To search for Registry Offices in Municipalities: https://www.help.gv.at/linkaufloesung/applikation-flow?leistung=LA-HP-RL-StandesamtGeburtsort&flow=LO&quelle=HELP
Vienna Registry Offices
20, Dresdner Strae 93
Phone: +43 1 4000-35089
Fax: +43 1 4000-99-35070
E-mail : [email protected]
The legal age for both men and women to get marry is 18. Individuals of at least 16 years of age may also marry provided that written, notarized consent from both parents is presented and if the other spouse is at least 18 years old.
- The marriage may not be contracted between blood relatives straight line ( eg, father and daughter), or between siblings or half-siblings. This applies even if the child's parents not together married are / were.
- A marriage may not be contracted between adoptive mother / adoptive father and adoptive child also, as long as the adoptive relationship was not resolved.
- No person shall enter into marriage, as long as he or she is still alive in an existing marriage or registered partnership. It does not matter whether an actual cohabitation of the spouses (or civil partners) is present. It is crucial that the marriage ( or civil partnership) is not yet resolved ( eg, through divorce, annulment or death) or was annulled.
For the method of determining the conditions for marriage: 50 EUR
Submission of additional foreign documents: 80 euro (all together)
- For the use of additional services, such as music, other charges may apply.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Registration for the civil ceremony are done at least six months before the wedding date and it is also only valid up to six months. A minimum period is not provided, but the average wait time in major cities is two to six weeks.
The civil status office for the domicile or residence has jurisdiction of the fianc / fiance of:
- The registry office or the registrar's office association of community
- In statutory cities : the Registry Office of the Municipality
- In Vienna: the registry office in Vienna
There is no domicile or residence in the country, the registrar's office of the last place of residence in Germany is responsible. In all other cases, the registry office Vienna - Innere Stadt responsible.
The wedding ceremony itself can be performed in another registry office.
Some registry offices offer the possibility of a online pre-schedule an appointment for your wedding ceremony. These are for example:
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
Marriage is a legal contract binding two people together, granting them rights and obligations. You will need to register first before you can proceed with the actual marriage ceremony. During registration you will be given a transcript explaining conditions before you can get married.
Information which might help
If in the future you will need another copy of the marriage certificate ( eg duplicate if lost or stolen, multilingual marriage certificate) you can request to obtain one.
The right to ask for a copy of the marriage certificate belongs to:
- Persons to whom the record relates, and any other persons whose civil status is affected by the entry
- People who make a legal interest in the acceptance, unless there is an overriding legitimate interest of the persons referred to by the registration precludes
- Authorities and public bodies in the execution of the laws
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Marriage Act
- Registered Partnership Act
- Personal Status Law
- Persons Status Ordinance
More information which might help people.