Wikiprocedure > Austria

Austria - Obtain a Pet Passport

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


  • ISO 11784/11785 compliant 15 digit pet microchip. If your pet's microchip is not ISO 11784/11785 compliant, you can bring your own microchip scanner.
  • Rabies vaccination no sooner than 21 days prior to entry and not more than the expiration date of the manufacturer of the vaccine. If your dog, cat or ferret has been vaccinated before it was fitted with a microchip, it will have to be vaccinated again after the microchip is implanted.
  • For pets entering Austria from a country with a high incidence of rabies, a Blood Titer Test administered no sooner than one month after rabies vaccination. Samples must be processed at approved laboratories. Assuming test results within acceptable limits, your pet can enter Austria 90 days after the date the blood was drawn and avoid quarantine. This step is not required unless entering Austria from a high rabies country.
  • Within 10 days of travel, an accredited veterinarian must then complete the bi-lingual Annex II for Austria for endorsement by the USDA or CFIA if traveling from the United States or Canada. If you are not traveling from either of these countries, endorsement is not required unless your country mandates it.
  • A copy of the Rabies Certificate should and Blood Titer Test results also be included for endorsement (if applicable).

This completes a pet passport for your dog, cat or ferret to enter Austria.

Ads by Google

Required Documents[edit]

  • Anti-rabies vaccination
  • Identification
  • Certification

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Federal Ministry of Health
Radetzkystrae 2
1030 Vienna
Phone +43-1/711 00-0
E-Fax: +43-1/713 44 04-1000
DVR (Data processing register number): 2109254
For comments or general questions please contact the following e-mail address:

Federal Coordinator of recognized animal health services in Austria
c / o NE Animal Health Service
Landhausplatz 1
3109 St. Plten
Tel +43 (2742) 9005 12779
FAX +43 (2742) 9005 12801

Austrian Chamber of Veterinary Surgeons
Hietzing Kai 87
1130 Vienna
01/512 17 66
FAX: 14 70 01/512

Chamber of Agriculture of Austria
Schauflergasse 6
1014 Vienna
Tel +43 (0) 1/534 41 8550
FAX +43 (0) 8549 1/53441

Ads by Google


Each animal has to be accompanied by a passport issued by a veterinarian authorized by the competent authority certifying valid anti-rabies vaccination, or re-vaccination if applicable, of the animal concerned.

If you wish to travel abroad with your dog, cat or ferret, an identification of the pets with a tattoo or micro chip is compulsory. The chip code or the identifiable tattoo must be registered in the Pet Passport.

Until 2 July 2011 it was possible to travel abroad with pets that have a tattooed identification. From 3 July 2011 cats and ferrets must be identified with a chip, but tattoos done before 3 July 2011 remain valid.

Pets such as dogs or cats, older than 12 weeks, need a valid vaccination certificate either in German or with an official translation stamp. The vaccination must have been administered at least 30 days and not more than 1 year before crossing the border. Every animal must be clearly marked with either a tattoo or a microchip.

Dogs, cats and ferrets travelling within the European Union require a pet passport. Every animal must be accompanied by valid documentation from a recognized veterinary clinic with proof of a recent rabies vaccination.


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links

Ads by Google

Sample Documents[edit]

Intra-Community movement of dogs, cats and ferrets (pet passport) (PDF 267 KB)

Intra-Community movement of other pets (PDF 217 KB)

Model certificate in English according to Annex II to Commission Implementing Decision 2011/874/EU

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 

Ads by Google


  • The conditions of entry in pet animals are quite different in the third countries and are subject to frequent changes. Therefore, please inquire prior to leaving on time at the trading department of the respective embassies or the veterinary services of third countries on their entry requirements. You may also have the automobile clubs of specialized information.
  • For necessary travel required veterinary certificates is from the official veterinarian or the official veterinarian of your district or magistrate.
  • Some third countries also require confirmation by the central veterinary authorities.
  • A maximum number of five animals per person may be transported.

Required Information[edit]

For animals older than three months, the Pet Passport must provide evidence that a valid anti-rabies inoculation or a valid booster inoculation against rabies has been carried out.

The Pet Passport also contains details about the animal owner and any change in the animals ownership. A photo of the respective animal may also be included. The animals name, age, race, gender and identification number definitely have to be entered.

Pet animals are defined as dogs, cats, ferrets, invertebrates (except bees and crustaceans), ornamental tropical fish, amphibia, reptiles, birds (except poultry) as well as rodents and domestic rabbits which are accompanying their owners or a natural person responsible for such animals on behalf of the owner during their movement and are not intended to be sold or transferred to another owner.

Ads by Google

Need for the Document[edit]

Since October 1, 2004, anyone wishing to travel within the Member States of the European Community or the European Economic Area with a dog, cat or ferret, must equip them with a document issued by a veterinarian authority the so-called "Pet Passport".

The Pet Passport is a Europe-wide standardized, forgery-proof ID card, which enables the relevant animal to be clearly identified. The card can be obtained from all self-employed veterinary surgeons working in Austria.

If bringing a pet from another EU country, the animal must have a microchip or tattoo, an EU pet passport and a valid rabies vaccination certificate. Animals from outside the EU must also have a microchip or tattoo and rabies vaccination certificate along with a veterinary certificate issued by an authorized veterinarian.

Information which might help[edit]

Basically anti-rabies vaccination is deemed valid if, among others, the condition has been fulfilled requiring that the date of vaccination must not be earlier than the date of microchip implantation as entered into the pet pass or animal health certificate. However, animals identified by a clearly readable tattoo which has been applied before 3rd July 2011 remain accepted as identified.

Anti-rabies vaccination is deemed valid 21 days after finishing the basic vaccination procedure if

  • the animal has been vaccinated with an inactivated vaccine or recombinant vaccine against rabies in accordance with the marketing authorization of the vaccine in the country of origin;
  • the vaccine meets the required standards (Chapter 2.1.13 of the Manual of Diagnostic Tests and Vaccines for Terrestrial Animals) of the World Organization for Animal Health
  • the animal has been re-vaccinated at regular intervals.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

In accordance to country specific import rules and regulations, pets travelling abroad accompanied by their owners require the appropriate official veterinary documentation. The document is available at the Health Office, Department of Veterinary Medicine.

As an EU national, you can freely travel with your cat, dog or ferret if it has a European pet passport. This passport is available from any authorized veterinarian and must contain details of a valid anti-rabies vaccination.

The EU pet passport is only for dogs, cats and ferrets. If you have other pets, such as rabbits or canaries, you should check relevant national rules on taking animals in/out of the country.

External Links[edit]

Ads by Google


During outbreaks of animal diseases, there may also be local restrictions on the movement of live animals and products of animal origin. Contact the relevant veterinary a