Austria - Obtain a Copy of Birth Register
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- The request to get a copy of the transcript from the birth register shall be lodged with the competent authority.
- Application may be submitted in person, in writing or electronically (with citizen card done). The application form can be obtained from the competent authority or downloaded online.
- Submit other required documents and pay all necessary fees.
- The transcript from the register of births must be collected in person and usually immediately after application.
- Official photo identification
- Birth certificate (not mandatory, but it makes easier to find the birth entry)
- Any document that will substantiate legal interest
Office Locations & Contacts
To search for a registry office: https://www.help.gv.at/linkaufloesung/applikation-flow?leistung=LA-HP-RL-StandesamtGeburtsort&flow=LO&quelle=HELP
To search for Registry Offices in Municipalities: https://www.help.gv.at/linkaufloesung/applikation-flow?leistung=LA-HP-RL-StandesamtGeburtsort&flow=LO&quelle=HELP
Vienna Registry Offices
20, Dresdner Strae 93
Phone: +43 1 4000-35089
Fax: +43 1 4000-99-35070
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Persons allowed to request for a copy of the birth register:
- Persons to whom the record relates, and any other persons whose civil status is affected by the entry
- People who make a legal interest in the acceptance, unless there is an overriding legitimate interest of the persons referred to by the registration precludes
- Authorities and public bodies in the execution of the laws
- Spoken Request: free of charge
- In Writing: 14.30 EUR federal fee
Copy of the birth register: 9.30 EUR (7.20 EUR 2.10 EUR German Federal Administrative fee plus tax)
- Applications for and issuance of copy of the register of births that are caused directly by the birth of a child, unless it is issued within two years from the birth of the child, are free of charge (does not apply for requesting duplicate copy due to loss or theft ). Requesting for the copy to be sent would cost more. For more information please inquire at the registry office.
- Confirmations of the civil status office for social security purposes are free.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
The transcript from the register of births must be collected in person and usually immediately after application.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
For children born before 1.1.1939
The parish church of your birthplace
For children born after 1.1.1939
The civil status office for the place of birth ( eg location of the hospital) has jurisdiction:
- The registry office or the registrar's office association of community
- In statutory cities : the Registry Office of the Municipality:
- In Vienna: the registry office in Vienna
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
A copy of register of births is a document usually required in marriage proceedings or a registering a partnership. The transcript from the register of births should not be older than six months.
In contrast to the birth certificate , which is only an extract from the register of births ( eg name at birth-run), the copy of birth register contains the full text of all previous entries of the birth book like:
- all the main entries relating to the birth immediately
- endorsements of corrections, and
- the clues that make the connection between various entries.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Personal Status Law
- Persons Status Ordinance
- Austrian Government Portal
More information which might help people.