Austria - Obtain Death Certificate
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- You can submit your request to obtain a copy of a death certificate at any registry office. You may do this in person, in writing or electronically (using your citizen's card).
- For requests submitted in person, the certificate is usually issued immediately .
- If you are outside Austria: You may go to an Austrian diplomatic mission or the Austrian representation abroad, they will help you process your request to obtain a copy of a death certificate.
- Death Notification
- Valid identification of the one reporting the death
- Personal documents of the dead / deceased - if any:
- birth certificate
- Proof of nationality or certificate of origin
- Marriage certificate / partnership certificate
- If divorced:
- Divorce decision or decree of divorce
- For registered partners / registered partners: Judgment on the dissolution of registered partnership
- Possibly documentary proof of academic degrees
Copy of death certificate:
- Valid identification
Office Locations & Contacts
To search for a registry office: Link
Statutory Cities: [Link
To search for Registry Offices in Municipalities: Link
Vienna Registry Offices
20, Dresdner Strae 93
Phone: +43 1 4000-35089
Fax: +43 1 4000-99-35070
E-mail : [email protected]
The death must be reported to the registry office. A death certificate will only be issued after the death was registered with the competent authority.
Those who are obliged to report the event (in order):
- The director / conductor of the hospital in which the person died
- The doctor / doctor who / who made the mortem examinations
- The one who has authority or agency over the police investigation into the death
- The Spouse / the spouse, registered partner / registered partner or other family members
- The last Unterkunftsgeberin / the last property manager
- Other people who have knowledge of the death due to their own perceptions
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
For requests submitted in person, the certificate is usually issued immediately.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Competent authority (where can you get a copy of a death certificate):
- The civil status office responsible for the place of death ( eg location of the hospital or nursing home) has jurisdiction:
- The registry office or registry office Association of Municipality
- In Statutarstdten : the registry office of the magistrate
- In Vienna: the registry offices in Vienna.
You can submit your request to obtain a copy of a death certificate at any registry office.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
Please provide the need for the procedure. e.g. Birth Certificate - why do we need to have a birth certificate?
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.