Wikiprocedure > Austria

Austria - Convert or Transfer your Foreign Driving License

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


  1. Visit the responsible authority for converting your foreign license. For the list of where you can go, please see the 'Office Locations and Contacts' in this page.
  2. Applicants must have their "main residence" (Hauptwohnsitz) in Austria. Please note that the Austrian police registration forms (Meldezettel) indicate whether or not the applicant's current address is their "main residence" (Hauptwohnsitz, in the form of a Ja or Nein boxes which are filled out, when you register). If you marked Nein on your original Meldezettel, the authorities may require you to re-register with the police. This entails filling out a new Meldezettel, marking the appropriate box (Ja) that indicates that your current Austrian address is your main residence, and submitting this new Meldezettel to the appropriate Meldeamt.
  3. If the applicant has a driver's license that has been issued by a state of which he or she is not a resident, the applicant is obligated to document either that he or she had a main residence in the state issuing the license or lived there for a period of at least six months.
  4. Applicants must submit the following documentation:
    1. A completed application (Fhrerscheinantrag)
    2. A physical given by a qualified physician (Sachverstndiger). Lists of these physicians are available at the Verkehrsamt, Austrian automobile clubs (AMTC or ARB) or police precinct offices (Bezirkspolizeikomissariat). Physicals have to have been taken within the last year. A vision test is part of the physical. Therefore, if applicants have corrective lenses or contacts, the physicians will ask them to bring documentation from their ophthalmologists or opticians regarding their corrective lenses. (For wearers of corrective lenses, this document this is the so-called Brillenpass. If you do not have this information with you, local opticians can measure and document the attributes of corrective lenses and issue a Brillenpass. The wearers of contact lenses may need to consult an ophthalmologist.)
    3. A translation of the applicant's driver's license.
    4. Passport (original) and two photocopies of the relevant pages, i.e. pages 2 and 3 and the page with your visa and/or residency permit. Note: U.S. citizens are required to apply for residency permits after 90 days. If you do not have a residency permit, you cannot plausibly declare Austria as your "main residence".
    5. Meldezettel (original) and 1 photocopy thereof.
    6. Driver's license (original) and 2 photocopies thereof (front and back sides if relevant information is on both sides).
    7. Two identical passport size photos (standard European dimensions available from photo automats or at photo studios).

Ads by Google

Required Documents[edit]

Most driving licence authorities require the original documents plus copies.

EU or EEA driving licence[edit]

In case of a conversion of an EU or EEA driving licence on a voluntary basis:

  • Passport [Reisepass] or personal identification card
  • Foreign driving licence
  • One perfectly identifiable photo (35 mm x 45 mm) of the owner (if possible following specific passport photo criteriaGerman text)
  • Possibly extract from the driving licence file of the issuing country and possibly a translation (simplifies the process at the responsible *authority)
  • Possibly Residence Registration Form [Besttigung der Meldung] (simplifies the process at the responsible authority)

non-EU or non-EEA driving licence[edit]

In case of a conversion of a non EU or non EEA driving licence:

  • Passport [Reisepass]
  • Foreign driving licence
  • Possibly a translation of the driving licence
  • One perfectly identifiable photo (35 mm x 45 mm) of the owner (if possible following specific passport photo criteriaGerman text)
  • Medical report
  • Possibly Residence Registration Form [Besttigung der Meldung] (simplifies the process at the responsible authority)

The driving licence authority may ask for additional documents in particular cases.

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Responsible Authority[edit]

Every driving licence authority in Austria

  • In cities with Federal Police Headquarters: the Federal Police Headquarters [Landespolizeidirektion]
    • In Vienna: the Motor Vehicle Department [Verkehrsamt]
    • In Bregenz: the district administrative authority Bregenz [Bezirkshauptmannschaft Bregenz]
  • In cities without Federal Police Headquarters or in Municipalities: the district administrative authority [Bezirkshauptmannschaft]
    • In the statutory cities of Krems and Waidhofen/Ybbs: the Municipal Authority [Magistrat]
    • For the statutory city of Rust: the Federal Police Headquarters Burgenland [Landespolizeidirektion Burgenland]

Pls follow the link for more information;jsessionid=DC054D1D446557DB57E482204C48409F.tomcat_help2?execution=e1s1&gemeindeplzeingabe:_idcl=gemeindeplzeingabe_j_id26

Licensing Authorities in Austria - Authorities issuing driver's licenses classified by states and the political districts listed in alphabetical order.

State Police Directorates

Ads by Google


The owner / owners of the foreign license must be 18 years of age.

EEA or European Union driving licenses are recognized in Austria, and may be converted at any time on a voluntary basis.

Driving licenses from non-EEA states are valid only six months starting from establishment of the primary residence in Austria. If they are not in German, they have to be amended by an international driving license or a translation. After the deadline of six months they have to be converted.


  • Conversion: 60,50 Euro
  • Express production: additionally 16 Euro

Please note: Fees for examination or medical reports are not included in the fees mentioned above.


Validity Period of Foreign Driving Licences in Austria[edit]

  • From an EU or EEA state: for an unlimited period
  • From a non-EU or non-EEA state:
    • In case of establishing a residence in Austria: six months starting from establishment of the residence [Wohnsitz], if the owner has reached the age of 18
    • Without residence in Austria: up to twelve months starting from the entry in the county, if the owner has reached the age of 18

Documents to Use[edit]

Application for License

Ads by Google

Sample Documents[edit]

Passport photo criteria (German text)

Processing Time[edit]

According to the Austrian authorities, the processing of an application takes 4-6 weeks. Applicants are notified by mail when their licenses are ready and must pick them up in person.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 

Ads by Google


  • If your driver's license is from the EU/EEA, then you can take it o the Austrian driving authority to exchange it for an Austrian license. This is not mandatory.
  • Licenses from non-EU countries must be exchanged within six months of arriving in Austria.
  • Those with licenses from the following countries do not need to sit any tests: Andorra, Japan, Croatia, Monaco, Switzerland, Australia, Israel, Canada, South Africa, Korea (if issued after 01/01/1997) and USA.
  • If you do not fall in either of the above categories, you will have to sit the full exam (theory and practice) to get a driving license, except if you possess the Austrian nationality.
  • For the exchange of license, you can go to any administration dealing with driver's license (Fhrerscheinbehrde), regardless of your place of residency.
  • The authority can survey the Central Register instead of your having to present a residence registration form if you wish so.
  • You must make a request for exchange of foreign driving license. You can obtain the form at the driving license authority or can be downloaded.

Required Information[edit]

  • Surname / Last Name
  • Former family name / surname
  • First name (s)
  • Gender
  • Date of birth and place of birth
  • Citizenship
  • Primary residence (zip code, city / street / alley / space, house number, stairs, door)
  • Serial number / license number
  • Issuing authority
  • Date of issue
  • Recorded (r) Number Code (s)

Ads by Google

Need for the Document[edit]

While driving in Austria you must be able to produce your vehicle registration certificate and driving license at all time.

EEA or European Union driving licences are recognized in Austria, and may be converted at any time on a voluntary basis.

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

After the six-month period, only the possession of an Austrian driver's license entitles one to drive a motor vehicle in Austria. There are only exceptions for non-EU foreign nationals who can prove (with a letter from employer/contract, etc.) that they will be in Austria for work or educational reasons for no longer than one year. These people are entitled to drive up to twelve months in Austria from the first date of entry into Austria.

External Links[edit]


Ads by Google


More information which might help people.