Austria - Apply for Citizenship
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Approach the competent authority that services your area. If possible contact them by phone first to set an appointment.
- Fill in application form and submit all needed documents to process your request.
- For those applying in Vienna, you may follow the link to know more about the application process: http://www.wien.gv.at/amtshelfer/dokumente/personenwesen/staatsbuergerschaft/verleihung.html
- All foreign language documents must be submitted in original along with a certified translation in Austria.
- Whether certified translations from other states are recognized based on the applicable rules of procedure. In recognition of the documents, for example, an Apostille may be required. Additional information can be found on the website of the Federal Ministry for European and International Affairs.
- A foreign language document must be submitted in original along with a certified translation, the translation must be done usually only by court-certified interpreters / translators. A list of Austria in court-certified interpreters / interpreter can be found on the website of the Federal Ministry of Justice. This list can also be interpreters / interpreter from other EU - / EEA Member States to register: http://www.sdgliste.justiz.gv.at/edikte/sv/svliste.nsf/suche!OpenForm
You can make the request or use the application form "informal ceremony or extension of the Austrian citizenship".
The actual requirements can only be determined on the basis of your personal information.
Office Locations & Contacts
To search for a registry office:https://www.help.gv.at/linkaufloesung/applikation-flow?leistung=LA-HP-RL-StaatsbuergerschaftsnachweisKind&flow=LO&quelle=HELP
Municipal District Offices: http://www.wien.gv.at/mba/mba.html#adress
Municipal Department 35
Immigration, Citizenship and Registry Offices - office management
1200 Vienna Road 93, Block C
Service number: +43 1 4000 3535
Fax: +43 1 4000 9935010
Senate Councillor - Head of Department: +43 1 4000 35011
Upper Municipal Councillor - Deputy Head of Department: +43 1 4000 35013 50 00711
Monday to Friday 7:30 am 15:30 clock, Thursday additionally von 15:30 bis 17:30 clock
Except public holidays, Good Friday, Christmas Eve (24.12.) and New Year's Eve (31.12.) of 7:30 to 12:00 clock
- At least ten years of legal and continuous residence in Austria, of which at least five years of permanent residence permit ; Deviations from this condition exist in the granting of citizenship due to a legal claim
- No judicial convictions
- No pending criminal proceedings (both at home and abroad)
- No serious administrative offenses with particular wrongfulness
- Sufficiently secure livelihood:
- Detection of stable and regular income from employment, income, statutory maintenance requirements or insurance average of 36 months from the last six years prior to the time of application, and must in any case the last asserted six months immediately before the time of application
- German and basic knowledge of the democratic order and can be derived from basic principles and history of Austria and the respective province:
- Evidenced by written examination, if no exemptions exist ( eg German is the mother tongue, minority, schooling with positive assessment in the subject "German")
- Positive attitude towards the Republic of Austria and ensure that no danger to the public peace, order and security is.
- No existing residence ban and no pending proceedings for termination of residence
- No return decision
- No return decision of another EEA State or Switzerland
- No designation within the last 18 months
- No close relationship to an extremist or terrorist group
- Basically, loss of previous nationality
- Allowed by the granting of citizenship:
- The international relations of the Republic of Austria are not substantially impaired and
- The interests of the Republic of Austria are not damaged
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
The citizenship department of the respective Office of the Provincial is in charge of processing application for citizenship.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
Citizenship represents the link between a person and a state or an association of states. Possession of citizenship is normally associated with the right to work and live in a country and to participate in political life.
To be able to apply for an Austrian citizenship, the general naturalization requirements must be met and an appropriate application is submitted. Only then it will be possible to obtain citizenship due to legal claim.
Approval of citizenship will also be decided by the Competent Authority.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Citizenship Act
- Austrian Government Portal
More information which might help people.