Austria - Apply Identification (ID) for Minor
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
1.) You will need to present the minor to the authorities during the application process. The power of representation of the applicant must be verified.
2.) An identity card for underage minors may only be requested by the person who has custody or has the right to legally represent the child.
- For illegitimate children both parents are entitled to represent, as long as the marriage is maintained.
- For children out of wedlock is entitled to represent basically the mother. If the power of attorney (in case of joint custody) applies to the father, he must prove it by a legally-force custody order confirmation.
- For children from a divorced marriage that person is authorized to represent to which the custody was transferred. The guardianship authority must be proved (see documentation required ).
- For foster children , the foster parents are entitled to represent them if the entire custody was transferred.
- Parents of minor children are usually represented by the youth welfare office.
3.) The application form would need to bear the child's signature or others' (Companion or paid staff member / employee of the Passport Office)
4.) The following passport offices offer applicants the opportunity to schedule online an appointment:
- District of St. Johann im Pongau
- Magistrate Graz
- Municipal District Offices Vienna
- City of Linz
- Magistrate catfish
- Official identification of the applicant / the applicant (usually mother / father)
- Birth certificate of the child (may be required)
- Proof of citizenship of the child
- A passport picture of the child (Portrait 35 x 45 mm ) not older than six months after certain criteria passport photo (color or black and white)
- Proof of the power of representation:
- Marriage certificate of the parents in the upright or marriage
- Custody decision with legal effect or confirmation
- Proof of pflegschaftsgerichtlich approved agreement with legal force or confirmation
- Comparison of the joint custody with legal force or confirmation
- Custody decision by a foreign authority, including certified translation or
- Written authorization for the application and written consent of the parent with custody (possibly in conjunction with a proof of custody) to issue a travel document if the application of a / a third party is introduced. Note: The child's identity is demonstrated in this case by an official photo identification.
- Written consent of the parent with custody to issue a travel document (possibly in conjunction with a proof of custody), if the application of the / the mature minor is placed themselves. Note: The child's identity is demonstrated in this case by an official photo identification.
In individual cases, the passport authority other documents are required - especially if it has doubts about the correctness of the data ( eg, spelling) or the application is not submitted by the legal representative / legal guardian ( eg official photo identification of the applicant designated parent for signature comparison on presentation of a power of attorney and consent).
When you apply at the passport office (also in the municipal district offices in Vienna), no form is necessary, the passport authority takes on a transcript. The form is usually only when the application is about the municipal office needs.
Office Locations & Contacts
To locate Statutory Offices: https://www.help.gv.at/Portal.Node/hlpd/public/content/99/Seite.991304.html
A-8700 Leoben, Erzherzog Johann-Strae 2
Tel: +43 (0)3842/4062-450 bis 454
Fax: +43 (0)3842/4062-455
Mo Do: 08:00 Uhr-16:00 Uhr
Fr: 08:00 Uhr-12:30 Uhr
Municipality of Schwechat
Town Hall Square 9, Ground Floor
Tel: 01 70108221 ext 319 or ext
Fax: 01 70108394 DW
Passport Center Hauptstrae 1 - 5, Neues Rathaus, 1.
Stock (ber dem Brgerservice Center), 4041 Linz
Tel.: +43 732 7070
Fax.: +43 732 7070 54 2110
Headquarters of the Passport Office
1082 Vienna, Lerchenfelderstrae 4, 2 Floor, room 201
Phone +43 1 4000 89516
Phone : +43 1 89517 4000
Telephone : +43 1 4000 89523
Outside office hours contact number:
City Hall Station ( MA- 68) 1, 2 Lichtenfelsgasse
Phone: +43 1 4000-98350
Fax: +43 1 4000-99-98350
Upper Municipal Councillor Head of Department: +43 1 4000 89511
Deputy Head of Department: +43 1 4000 89513
Issuance of travel documents other than emergency passports: Monday to Wednesday, Friday from 8.00 to 13.00 clock Monday to Wednesday afternoons by appointment booking Thursdays from 8:00 bis 17.30 clock.
Exhibition of Notpssen, frustrations and deprivations of travel documents: Monday to Wednesday Friday from 8.00 to 15.30 clock Thursdays from 8:00 bis 17.30 clock
Office hours: Monday to Wednesday, Friday 7:30 to 15:30 clock Thursday from 7.30 bis 17.30 clock Excludes: closed on public holidays, on Good Friday, Christmas Eve (24.12.) and New Year's Eve (31.12.) Retrieved from 7.30 bis 12.00 clock
- Austrian Citizen
- For children and under-age minors (under the age of 14 years), the request shall include the legal representative / legal representative ( eg married biological parents, unwed mother, other people, if transmitted by the court) consent.
- Mature minors (from the age of 14 to 18 years of age) may be the one to submit the application form for the identity card, provided that the consent of the legal guardian / legal representative is demonstrated.
1 to 2 years old
- First Issuance: Free
- Re-Issuance(e.g. because of name change): 26.30 EUR
Older than 2 years old: 26.30 EUR
16 years old and up: 61.50 EUR
Note: Fees are flat rate (no more additional fees). Beginning January 2008 IDs issued to minors aged 1 to 2 are free of any charge.
Validity of passport for minors (under 18 years old)
- 1 to 2 years old: two years
- Older than 2 years old: five years
- 12 years old up: ten years
Documents to Use
Download Application Form
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
The card is issued within approximately five working days by post to the address given ( eg sent home, work place, passport agency).
Expect a longer waiting time if you will be submitting your application form to municipal offices.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
The passport authority:
- The district administration - In Leoben and Schwechat : the community
- In statutory cities : the City Council - In Vienna: the municipal district offices
Application for the ID is done in Austria. You may go to any passport offices, regardless of residence.
Some communities accept passport applications and they forward them to the competent authority.
When you submit your application to the municipal council, expect a longer waiting time for the delivery of the identity card.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
You will need a travel document to be able to cross borders. You will also need this when traveling to Schengen countries and even with short trips abroad.
The ID card serves as a proof of nationality and identity, this will also allow it's holder (minor) to visit many European countries alone.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Passport Act
- Pass Regulation
- Passport Act Implementing Regulation
- Austrian Government Portal
Follow the link below if you would like to receive email notification about renewing your passport or making some modifications on your passport information.