Austria - Apartment Registration
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
1.) You can have the changes of registration be carried out either in person or through the post or be delivered by a person you trust. However, changes of registration via fax or e-mail are currently not permitted by law.
Changes of registration of minors must be carried out by their parents or legal guardians or those who are entitled to care for them. Custodians [Sachwalterinnen/Sachwalter] are required to carry out the change of registration for mentally handicapped persons as long as this procedure is part of their field of action. In cases where there are no such people the accommodation providers must carry out the change of registration.
2.) The registration form is important for this is where the authorities will get information that will be entered in their database. You can request for a copy of the form from the registration office, it is also available in some tobacconists or you can just simply download the form.
The form must be completed fully and legibly. Here are some guidelines filling in the form:
- Religious belief [Religionsbekenntnis]: This column can also be filled in after the accommodation provider has signed the form. It can also be left empty.
- Central register number [ZMR-Zahl]: This number must be declared as far as it is known. Central register numbers are twelve-figure numbers arbitrarily allocated by the system and are used for identification by the authorities.
- Signature of the person who is obliged to register: By signing the form, the person confirms the accuracy of the registration data.
- Signature of the accommodation provider
A separate residence registration form must be filled in for each person.
3.) You will receive a written confirmation of registration [Besttigung der Meldung] (formerly known as residence registration form [Meldezettel]).
- Public documents that include last name and first name, last name before the first marriage, date of birth, place of birth and citizenship of the person taking up the accommodation (e.g. passport and birth certificate [Geburtsurkunde])
- Optional, documentary proof of academic degrees [Urkundlicher Nachweis akademischer Grade]
- For people taking up accommodation without Austrian citizenship (foreigners):
- Travel document (e.g. passport)
- For registration of a newborn baby (at the registration authority):
- Birth certificate of the child
Note: In the case of not changing one's registration in person, the original documents or notarised or legally certified copies of these documents must be sent or given to the postal carrier.
Office Locations & Contacts
- To locate offices: https://www.help.gv.at/linkaufloesung/applikation-flow?leistung=LA-HP-RL-Meldezettel&flow=LO&quelle=HELP
- To locate Statutory Offices: https://www.help.gv.at/Portal.Node/hlpd/public/content/99/Seite.991304.html
Vienna City Administration, Rathaus, A-1082 Wien
Municipal District Offices: http://www.wien.gv.at/english/politics/translation/district.htm
Provide eligibility criteria's for going through this procedure.
Registration is free.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
- Registration Form
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Registration must be done within a month.
- The Town Hall or Municipal Offices
- In statutory cities - the City Council
- In Vienna - the Municipal District Office
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
A change of registration is only necessary if for example an existing secondary residence [Nebenwohnsitz] is changed into a principal residence [Hauptwohnsitz] and the former principal residence becomes a secondary residence. Furthermore, a change of registration has to be carried out in cases where the citizenship, name, civil status or sex of the occupant is changed abroad.
In cases where a new principal residence (with a different address than the address of the former principal residence) is established, a registration [Anmeldung] is required instead of a change of registration. The de-registration or change of registration of the former principal residence to another residence can be carried out at the same time if necessary.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Austrian Government Portal: https://www.help.gv.at/Portal.Node/hlpd/public/content/118/Seite.11802101.html
More information which might help people.