Wikiprocedure > American Samoa

American Samoa - Single Status Certificate

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


If you are planning to marry in another country, you may be required to obtain a Certificate of Non-Impediment. This document has many different names such as Declaration of Non-Impediment to Marry, Statutory Declaration of Single Status, Affidavit of Intended Marriage, Statement In-Lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage Abroad, Certificate de Coutume, a Certificate of No Impediment, Certificate of Nulla Osta, Certificate of Freedom to Marry or just free to marry.

Ads by Google

Required Documents[edit]

  • Birth Certificate
  • Divorce Certificate or Death Certificate (if necessary)
  • Proof of identity: Copy of (Registration card, Passport or National identity card).

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

American Samoa Government
Department of Homeland Security
Office of Vital Statistics
P.O. Box 6894
Pago Pago, AS 96799
(684) 633-1405
Office of Vital Statistics (OVS)
Embassies and Consulates

Ads by Google


This document will most likely be required as a supporting document if you are getting married in a foreign country.

This document can also be required for employment in a foreign country.

A Single Status Affidavit also referred to as a No Marriage Affidavit, Certificate of Freedom to Marry or Certificate of No Impediment, is a sworn statement saying that you are eligible to marry.

Overseas marriage authorities often require further evidence that the party is free to marry. Such evidence may be a statement from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages that there is no record of the person having been previously married or a 'Single Status Certificate' or 'No Records Result'.


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


Please be aware that the Single Status Certificate will not be accepted by some foreign countries marriage authorities that are more than three months old.

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links

Ads by Google

Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 

Ads by Google


It is advisable to follow the guidelines that certain authorities deem necessary. Those wishing to marry overseas will need special documentation. First, couples will have to present a declaration that is processed by your local office where marriage documents are produced. This must be from the state where you live in the American Samoa. On this statement will be recorded the fact that there has not be any marriage in recent years.

Due to the fact that these types of documents are sought for foreign involvement one will need the local or state registrar´┐Żs account or declaration to be authenticated to work abroad.

Required Information[edit]

  • Name
  • Date of birth
  • Place of birth
  • Address
  • Citizenship
  • Gender

Ads by Google

Need for the Document[edit]

Many names for this type of document can be found: Certificate of No Impediment, Single Statement, No Marital Status Certificate or Negative Statement of Marriage. However, it is a government document that provides information saying that a search has been conducted and no record of marriage has surfaced. This is a peculiar document in the fact that the process is not necessarily undertaken statewide; moreover, this kind of article is limited in terms of its jurisdiction.

Information which might help[edit]

If you are planning on marrying in a foreign country then sometimes a certificate is fundamental. It will be necessary to plan ahead and find out if the country you are intending to marry in is a signatory country of the Hague Convention of 1961.

Countries that recognize the Hague Convention of 1961 will be using a system of documentation that can afford the individual an easier paperwork process. In these countries to use the documents in question your certificate will need to be Apostilled.

However, if the country that you are getting married in is not then other means will be essential. For example, the process of authentication Certificate of No Record of Marriage in a non-Hague Convention country is done on at least three different levels. Unfortunately this is a longer process.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

You may require a Single Status certificate if you intend to be married overseas or if you are returning to your country of residence to be married. It certifies if you have been married in American Samoa during a specified period.

External Links[edit]

American Samoa Department of Homeland Security

Ministry of Foreign Affairs & Trade

Government Ministries

American Samoa Government

Ads by Google
Ads by Google


Overseas marriage authorities often require evidence a party to the marriage is free to marry. Such evidence may be a Result of Marriage Certificate from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

If you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident wishing to marry overseas, the foreign government may request that you have a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage (CNI) issued. DFAT in Australia can issue a CNI, however many foreign governments will only accept CNIs issued by the Australian mission (embassy or consulate) within their country. If you are getting married overseas you will need to confirm with the foreign government:

  • Whether or not the CNI is required;
  • Where it should be issued (i.e. in Australia or through an Australian mission overseas);
  • If it needs any additional legalization (authentication or apostille) and
  • If you require a 'Single Status Certificate' or 'No Record Result' (please note, these are not issued by DFAT, they are issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in your state or territory).