American Samoa - Register a Marriage
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Couples can get married at any time not less than 30 or more than 90 days after the issuance of a marriage license, any minister of any Christian religion duly appointed or ordained and duly registered in the office of the Registrar of Vital Statistics, or any Samoan Associate Judge, or the Associate Justice or Chief Justice, may marry the parties.
At least 2 witnesses must be present during the ceremony.
The parties to the marriage, the witnesses and the minister, justice or judge shall sign, in triplicate.
Immediately after the ceremony, the minister, justice, or judge must deliver one certificate of marriage to the parties to the marriage and shall retain one copy in the church files or in a file maintained by the justice or judge in his office. The third copy shall be transmitted to the Registrar of Vital Statistics within 7 days after the solemnization of the marriage, except that in the case of a marriage in the Manua Islands, the time shall be 30 days.
Failure to register: In case the minister, justice or judge failed to file the certificate of marriage with the Registrar of Vital Statistics within the prescribed time limitation, the marriage will remain valid and the omission may be corrected upon presentation of one of the 3 original certificates of marriage and the affidavit of one person in attendance at the marriage ceremony.
Missing Certificate: If one of the original 3 certificates of marriage is no longer available, the presentation of affidavits of the minister, justice or judge performing the ceremony and one witness to the ceremony is sufficient.
Minister, justice or judge who performed the ceremony is deceased: If the minister, justice or judge performing the ceremony is deceased or he cannot be located, the affidavits of 2 witnesses to the wedding ceremony is sufficient;
- should the necessary number of witnesses be deceased or not available, then, any time within one year from the date of marriage, the parties may present affidavits from 4 members of the community, outside the second degree of consanguinity, attesting to the fact of a duly solemnized marriage and that the parties have lived as husband and wife since that time. No such proof of marriage may be accepted if either of the parties is no longer living.
Once any of the conditions above have been satisfied the Registrar of Vital Statistics may correct the omission in his records by creation of a certificate of late registration of marriage from the proof so furnished and may file this late registration of marriage in his records.
- Completed and signed marriage certificate
Office Locations & Contacts
American Samoa Government
Department of Homeland Security
Office of Vital Statistics
PO Box 6894
Pago Pago, AS 96799
Couples wishing to get married:
- Must not be related to each other nearer than the fourth degree of consanguinity.
- The groom shall be at least 18 years of age and the bride at least 14 years of age.
- If the bride is less than 18 years of age, she must have the consent of one of her parents or her guardian.
- Neither of the parties may have a lawful spouse living.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Couples wishing to marry must first obtain an application for marriage license from the office of the Registrar of Vital Statistics.
The Registrar of Vital Statistics keeps the following:
- records of all licenses issued by him or his deputies;
- a copy of marriage certificates transmitted to him;
- records supporting a late registration of marriage.
Need for the Document
Marriage is a legal contract binding two people together, granting them rights and obligations.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- American Samoa Bar Association:
More information which might help people.