American Samoa - Obtain a birth certificate
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Apply by Mail
- Contact the homeland security and request to speak with the Office of Vital Statistics.
- Write a letter requesting a certified copy of your birth certificate. Include your name, date of birth and other identifying information to the Office of Vital Statistics.
- Make a money order for the fee paid to "The Office of Vital Statistics/ASG."
- NB The department does not accept cash or personal checks.
- NB The department does not accept cash or personal checks.
- Send your request letter, money order, a copy of your ID and a stamped, self- addressed envelope to:
- American Samoa Government, Department of Homeland Security,
- Office of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 6894, Pago Pago, AS 96799.
- Your copy should be shipped to you within 20 business days.
- Log onto: Apply Online in the drop box select a state or territory, click on American Samoa and click the “order Birth and death records online" tab.
- On the next page under birth certificate click "Start Your Order “you will be redirected to the next page
- fill in your personal identification information correctly and then “click on next”
- on the next page fill the correct information about the place that you were born and “click on next tab”
- on the next page fill in addition information, reason for application and the numbers of copies you need and “click on next”
- next page is about information on where the certificate will be ship, enter the correct details then “click on next”
- next page specify payment details to complete your order then” click on submit order”
Processing time averages around 15 to 20 business days before the certificate is shipped to you via regular mail.
- Application form filled
- Identification documents i.e. drivers license ,identity card
- Request letter.
Office Locations & Contacts
American Samoa Government
Department of Homeland Security
Office of Vital Statistics
PO Box 6894
Pago Pago, AS 96799
Any child born in American Samoa is eligible for a birth certificate
- Make money order payable to Office of Vital Statistics/ASG.
- Cost of copy: $5.00
- NB To verify current fees,the telephone numbers are:(684) 633-1405/1406.
Birth certificate is valid forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
- 15-20 working days the certificate will be mailed to you
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- Ensure you meet the eligibility requirements to request a copy of your birth record. You must be at least 18 years old to make a request yourself. If you are not 18, your parents or legal guardian must make the request.
- American Samoans can request for a birth certificate online
- An applicant may only order his or her own birth certificate or one for a minor child online. Legal guardians and representatives may order but will require additional documentation providing proof of tangible interest,
- Date of request
- Full name of person (last name in caps)
- Sex of person (male or female)
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Mother's maiden name
- Father's name
- Relationship to party
- The reason the record is needed
- Requestor's name & address
- Requestor's driver's license number & state (some counties require it)
- Requestor's signature
Need for the Document
It can provide protection. Without identification, government officials have no documentation of a child's existence. As a result, the law is incapable of protecting children from crimes and abuse. But effective birth registration protects children and provides them with their legal rights.
Information which might help
At the time of publication, the cost of an American Samoa birth certificate ordered through VitalChek is $22.75, including the VitalChek processing fee. Additional copies are $7 each. You'll pay extra for shipping; however, since this is a U.S. territory, regular U.S. postal rates apply. Mail applications are cheaper at $5 per copy, or $7 if there's an error on the certificate and you need to make amendments. To verify current fees, the telephone numbers are 684-633-1405/1406.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- Establishing date of birth and age
- School registration
- Proving age of majority/minority in court
- Qualifying for pensions, social security or health insurance
- Obtaining a social security number
- Obtaining a passport
- Entering employment limited to citizens
- Obtaining licenses limited to citizens
- Proving legal dependency
- Obtaining inheritance benefits
- Receiving insurance benefits
- The information provided on the birth record through birth certificate registration is used for a variety of purposes to assist in providing better health care for the people of that state.The information is compiled into categories and trends to determine what characteristics contribute to health issues such as infant mortality and other critical infant problems. This data can be used to implement health care programs and to determine the need for funding in certain health areas. The personal information on the birth record is not indicated when the data is compiled.