American Samoa - Obtain Certificate of Registration of a Print, Label, Trademark or Trade Name
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- File an application to register a trade name, print, label, or trademark with the Office of the Territorial Registrar. A declaration, certified by the applicant, or, if the application is made by a firm, corporation or partnership, by the certification of a member of the firm, an officer of the corporation, or a partner, stating that he is, or they are, the sole and original proprietor or proprietors, or the assign or assigns of such proprietor or proprietors, of this print, label or trademark, and describing the goods or manufactured articles for which the print, label or trademark is to be used, and stating the manner in which the print, label or trademark is to be used.
- Your application must be accompanied by two exact copies of the print, label or trademark, or it shall set forth the trade name.
- At the time of filing each application, the applicant must pay to the Registrar a fee of ten dollars.
- Once the application, all the supporting documents and the payment for the fee is received by the Territorial Registrar, the office will have the print, label, trademark or trade name recorded in a book kept for that purpose.
- The Territorial Registrar will issue to the applicant or applicants a certificate of registration with the signature of the Registrar.
- A declaration certified by the applicant, stating that he is, or they are, the sole and original proprietor or proprietors of the trade name, or the assign or assigns of the proprietor or proprietors, and setting forth the nature of the business in which the trade name is to be used.
- Two exact copies of the print, label or trademark, or it shall set forth the trade name.
Office Locations & Contacts
Department of Commerce
American Samoa Government
A.P. Lutali Executive Office Bldg
Utulei, American Samoa 96799
Phone: 1 (684) 633-5155
Fax: 1 (684) 633-4195
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday
7:30 AM to 4:00 PM
Provide eligibility criteria's for going through this procedure.
Application fee to register a print, label, trademark, or trade name: $10
The certificate or registration gives the applicant or applicants the exclusive use of the print, label, trademark, or trade name throughout the Territory, for a term of ten years; provided that the print, label, trademark or trade name is continued in actual use by the applicant in the Territory.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Applications to register a print, label, trademark, or trade name must be submitted to the Office of the Territorial Registrar.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
You may need to obtain a certificate of the registration of the print, label, trademark, or trade name if you would like to secure the exclusive use of any tradename, print, label or trademark with the intention of attaching or applying it to any goods or manufactured articles or to bottles, boxes, or packages containing the goods or manufactured articles to indicate the name of the manufacturer, the contents of the packages, the quality of the goods or directions for use.
Information which might help
- The certificate of registration may be subject to revocation if any print, label, trademark, or trade name is not used by the applicant in accordance with the declaration for any period of three hundred and sixty-five consecutive days.
- Any person desiring such revocation must file a petition in the Office of the Territorial Registrar, setting forth facts indicating such non-use for a period of three hundred and sixty-five consecutive days immediately preceding the date of the filing of his petition. The petition must be verified upon the information and belief, or if the petition is made by a firm or corporation, by a member of the firm or an officer of the corporation. The petitioner must have the actual notice of the proceeding to be given the registered owner by such method or manner as the Registrar may prescribe, and the registered owner will be given the opportunity of a full hearing. If the registered owner, after due diligence, cannot be found, the Registrar may order that the petitioner give notice by publication in some newspaper suitable for the advertisement of notices of judicial proceedings for such length of time as he deems reasonable, not less than once each week in four successive weeks, the last publication to be not less than twenty-one days prior to the date set for the hearing. The giving of notice will be deemed complete upon the last publication. The notice as published must also contain the date which has been set for the hearing.
- After granting an opportunity for hearing to the petitioner and the registered owner, the Registrar will grant or deny the petition for cancellation, as the facts shall warrant.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- American Samoa Bar Association:
More information which might help people.