American Samoa - Guidance To Apply Student Loan
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Applying for a Student Aid: In order to apply for a Federal Financial Aid, students must complete the on-line Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) every school year. FAFSA allows the student to complete and submit their financial aid application online - LINK
When to apply / renewal: Application for student aid must be submitted every school year. For the academic year, the student may file, sign and submit their FAFSA or Renewal FAFSA any time after January 1st, but a complete and correct FAFSA must be received before July 1st. It will be better if a student apply for financial aid at least two weeks before registration of the beginning of the academic year (Fall), or earlier in the year (preferable).
Notification of Eligibility: After completing the FAFSA and providing all the required documents, a Financial Aid package will be developed and an Award Notification Letter, via email or by post, will be sent to the student.
American Samoa Community College
Provide the ASCC Financial Aid Office with the required documents:
- Birth Certificate or U.S. Passport
- Valid ASG issued identification card
- Valid Social Security Card
- Proof of completion of secondary education (high school diploma or transcript; GED certificate; DD-214; School Certificate (from a Non- U.S system)
- Applicant is transferring from a college or university off island, the student must have an official transcript sent to ASCC for review.
Office Locations & Contacts
Financial Aid Counselor:
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 684-699-9155 ext. 313
For scholarship information,contact Student Services at 684-699-9155 ext. 476.
To be eligible for Federal Student Aid, applicant must:
- Complete secondary education (high school diploma or its equivalent)
- Be enrolled as a regular student in an eligible degree or certificate program
- Be a U.S. citizen or National or eligible non-citizen
- Have a valid social security number
- Make and maintain satisfactory academic progress
- Demonstrate financial need
- Not owe a repayment on any Federal student grant or be in default on a Federal student loan
- Most male students must be registered with the Selective Service to receive federal student aid. These students may register while completing the FAFSA. More info - Selective Service System
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Students do not need to apply every semester, only once per academic year.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Federal Student Aid (FSA) Program: With the money provided by the federal government or another entity, such as a school or a state government, students can get help paying for their college education by applying for Federal Student Aid. The U.S. Department of Educations federal student aid programs displays the government's commitment to provide financial assistance to post-secondary students.
Financial aid is made available to student whose family resources are not enough to cover the students educational expenses.
The federal government defines a students financial need as the difference between the schools Cost of Attendance (COA) and the students Expected Family Contribution (ECF). Based on the familys income, size, and number in college, as well as other factors, the EFC is the amount of money the student and family are expected to contribute towards the students annual college costs.
American Samoa Community College: ASCC does not participate in any federal loan programs. However, ASCC does participate in the following federal grants:
- Federal Pell Grant (Pell)
- Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
- Federal Work-Study (FWS)
- FWS provides a grant income from a part-time job. If a student accepts a job under the Federal Work-Study program, they will be advised of strict federal guidelines that must be followed.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
Designed to help students pay for university/college tuition, books, and living expenses, student loan differs from other types of loans with its interest rate substantially lower and repayment of the loan may be deferred while the student is still in school.
Following is a guide on how students can apply for a loan or seek financial aid in American Samoa.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- American Samoa Department of Education:
- American Samoa Community College:
More information which might help people.