American Samoa - Apply for a Guest Worker Permit
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Complete and submit an application to the Attorney General. The sponsor must present a completed application for each guest worker with a certification that it is unable to meet its employment requirements with individuals currently residing in American Samoa, and other information that the Attorney General by regulation may require.
- Before issuance of the permit, the Attorney General will examine and certify to the Governor that he/she has reviewed each application, that the requirements have been satisfied, and that the employment needs of the sponsor cannot be met with individuals residing in American Samoa.
- The guest worker or sponsor must pay the application fee to the Government of American Samoa.
A Sponsor means an employer belonging to either of the two current fish canneries or call center doing business in American Samoa requesting a guest worker permit for an individual to enter American Samoa for purposes of employment by those canneries or call center.
Note: Each person who is granted a guest worker permit may enter American Samoa with only a one-way ticket from his point of origin.
- Completed application form
- A certificate from the highest health authority in his/her country of origin that bearer is of good health, fit for work, not pregnant, in cases of females, and free from any sexually transmitted diseases, malaria, filariasis, or any disease that is deemed contagious and capable of being transmitted from one person to another
- In addition to the requirement above, a guest worker must also provide a signed affidavit, with himself/herself as the affiant, that he/she is of good health, fit for work, not pregnant, in cases of females, and is free from any sexually transmitted disease, malaria, filariasis, or any disease that is deemed contagious and capable of being transmitted from one person to another.
Note: Any guest worker who knowingly presents a false affidavit under this section in order to obtain a guest worker permit, shall be guilty of a class A misdemeanor. The guest worker permit that was issued to said person shall immediately be revoked and he or she deported without delay. This individual shall not be eligible as a guest worker at any other time in the future.
For the host in American Samoa:
- Each application for a guest worker permit shall be supported by an affidavit from a host stating his/her ability and willingness to provide housing and lodging facilities for a guest worker during his/her stay in American Samoa, and shall declare whether he provides these accommodations free of charge or for a charge.
- A host who provides housing and lodging facilities for a charge shall submit with his/her affidavit a copy of his/her business license and rent agreement with the guest worker, stating, among other things, the term of the agreement, the monthly rental payment, the facilities provided, and other such information the Attorney General by regulation may require.
Office Locations & Contacts
American Samoa Attorney General
1 (684) 633-4163
1 (684) 633-7504 Fax Number:
1 (684) 633-4964 Email Address: [email protected]
Those who are applying for a guest worker permit must meet all of the following requirements:
- Must be at least 19 years old, and no older than 45 years, at the time the application is presented to the Attorney General;
- Must be a person of Samoan ancestry born in the Independent State of Samoa;
- Must not have been convicted anywhere of any crime, whether a misdemeanor or felony, including civil infractions;
- Must possess a certificate from the highest health authority in his/her country of origin that bearer is of good health, fit for work, not pregnant, in cases of females, and free from any sexually transmitted diseases, malaria, filariasis, or any disease that is deemed contagious and capable of being transmitted from one person to another;
- Must not have been previously deported or excluded by the American Samoa Immigration Board or Attorney General;
- Must not have been ordered by the courts of American Samoa to remain outside the Territory of American Samoa for any amount of time
- Applying for a guest permit for the first time: $50.00
- Renewal of permit: $30.00
Note: Neither the sponsor nor the guest worker applicant shall be required to post a bond, either monetary or otherwise, or post security of any kind as a requirement for the issuance of a guest worker permit. However, the sponsor is responsible for all expenses related to, and necessary for repatriating, to their countries of origin, those guest workers whose employment are terminated, or are deemed deportable or excluded by the Attorney General pursuant to the laws of American Samoa. The sponsor shall be responsible for assuring that provisions are in place to take care of expenses incurred by the guest worker for health or medical services, fees and fines, utilities, and any other expenses or debts of the guest worker.
A guest worker permit issued by the Attorney General is valid for one year from the date it was issued, and entitles the guest worker to multiple entries into American Samoa for the purpose for which it was issued.
Each permit may be renewed for an additional year not to exceed ten consecutive renewals.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Individuals of Samoan ancestry born in the Independent State of Samoa into American Samoa for purposes of employment by either of the two canneries or call center may submit their application to obtain a guest worker permit to the Attorney General of American Samoa.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
A Guest worker is a person of Samoan ancestry born in the Independent State of Samoa who is granted authorization to enter and remain in American Samoa for purposes of employment at the fish canneries or call center only.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- American Samoa Bar Association:
More information which might help people.