Albania - Register a Marriage
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Marriage in Albania can either be through civil ceremony, a religious ceremony, or both. The marriage must be registered with the Office of Civil Status (Zyra e Gjendjes Civile) to be considered legal in Albania.
HOW TO APPLY
- The future spouses must Visit the office of civil status (Zyra e Gjendjes Civile) within their residence and where the intended marriage ceremony will be had, with all the required document and required fees
- Request for an application form for your petition and fill it correctly and attach all the required documents copies and pay the required fees
- The local register will verify your documents and process them and make an announcement by posting a notification sheet in places designated by the municipality or commune, showing the civil component of your future spouse and place of marriage
- This announcement will be public side for 11 consecutive days, if the is no objection from the public, the register will inform you on which date the actual marriage will take place.
- On the scheduled date of your official marriage registration, you will need to be present together with your future spouse in order to sign the marriage agreement in front of the representative from that municipality unit.
- Two witnesses are required. The witnesses should not be related to you or your spouse by blood or marriage, and must be present at City Hall at the time the marriage will be registered.The witnesses must present proper identification and will need to sign your marriage agreement papers.
- Your Birth Certificate:
- If you were born outside of Albania, you will need a certified copy of your birth certificate issued within the last three months authenticated with a special seal called “Apostille”
- Divorce Decree or Certificate (if applicable):
- If you were married before, local authorities might request a certified copy of your divorce decree or certificate with an apostille attached to it, or an apostilled death certificate for your previous spouse, with an official translation Your passports and a Copy of the Biographic Page or Albanian id
- If your future spouse is an Albanian citizen, his or her Personal Certificate and Albanian Passport or ID Card;
- Two Witnesses:
- The witnesses must be present when the marriage is registered and they can’t be related to either you or your new spouse
- Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry:
- Albanian authorities require proof of legal capacity to enter into a marriage contract in the form of certification by competent authority that no impediment exists to the marriage.
Office Locations & Contacts
Bashkia Lezhe Lagjia Skenderbeg,
Sheshi Gjergj Kastrioti
Tel: +355 215 22270 / 22219
Fax: +355 215 22570
- A marriage may be registered between a man and a woman who are at least 18 years old.However, the Court of the city where the marriage took place, for specific reasons, may allow marriage before that age.
- Marriage is concluded in front of the civil registration office clerk, upon the free consent of the future spouses.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
If the marriage is not concluded within one year from the announcement, the marriage cannot be concluded without a new announcement being made in accordance with the requirements of this law.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
- 11 consecutive days before you can get officially married.The Civil Status Officer will tell you when the actual marriage date will be.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- At least 11 days before the planned marriage, the future spouses must appear at the Office of Civil Status in the municipality where the marriage registration will take place.If one spouse is an Albanian citizen, this will be the district where he or she has legal residence.If neither of the spouses hold Albanian citizenship, they may marry at the Civil Status Office covering their usual place of residence.
- Your name
- Date and place of birth
- Personal identification document number
- Marital status (never married or divorced or widowed)
- The name of your fiance
Need for the Document
Marriage must be registered with the Office of Civil Status (Zyra e Gjendjes Civile) to be considered legal in Albania.
Information which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- The request for the announcement must be completed by either the future spouses or their authorized representative, as provided for in a limited power of attorney.
- The announcement is made in the municipality or the commune where each of the future spouses resides. If they have not lived in their current place of residence for more than 6 months, the announcement must also be made in the municipality or commune where the spouse previously resided.